The Bureau was established in 1862 as the Bureau of Navigation. In 1942, it was changed to the Bureau of Naval Personnel. It was disestablished 31 October 1978, and its functions were spilt between the DCNO (Manpower, Personnel and Training) and the Naval Military Personnel Command. Effective 1 October 1998, the name changed to Naval Personnel Command.
Note: CAPT = Captain, COMMO = Commodore, RADM = Rear Admiral, VADM = Vice Admiral.