Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum, Inc.
P.O. Box 636
St. Michaels, MD 21663
Located at 100 North Street in St. Michaels, the Museum's Library is primarily a research library for scholars and researchers of maritime history and related fields. Although that is its principal function, the library's doors are open to both members and non-members of the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum who have a serious interest in maritime history. But because of the rarity of the collection, the library's collection does not circulate and is not available through interlibrary loan.
The library's nearly 9,800 volumes relate to maritime and naval history, Maryland and Virginia state and local history, exploration and sea travel, regional maritime fiction, waterfowl hunting, marine engineering, navigation and seamanship, boat and ship design and construction, and yachting and recreational boating. In addition, the Library maintains some 117 periodicals as well as ship plans, manuscript collections, oral histories, and photographs.
Recent additions to the collection include two 19th century journals. The first, kept by Philander Jones on the schooner Argus between 25 April and 31 August 1811, reports on a period when James Lawrence commanded and Jesse D. Elliott and William Shubrick were lieutenants on the ship. The second, kept by E. Greenleafe Parrott on board Boxer from February through December 1832, reports on a cruise off the African coast and describes a meeting with the governor of Liberia.