Resources for Veterans
This page is designed to assist veterans who are attempting to locate records relating to their military service.
- For information about obtaining Official Service and Medical Records, click here.
- For information about obtaining replacement medals, please contact the Navy Awards Office.
- For information about obtaining copies of crew lists and muster rolls, please click here.
- For general research on ship histories, please consult the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships.
- For general research on aviation squadrons, please view our many resources on the Aviation History page.
- For Navy photographs, please visit the Photo Archives page.
- For a list of carrier and squadron deployments for Korea and Vietnam, please click here.
- For a list of port visits by carriers deployed to Vietnam, please click here.
- For a list of carrier and squadron deployments from 1991 to 2005, please click here.
- For a list of aviation units involved in combat operations from 1983 to 2010, please click here.
- For Vietnam veterans trying to obtain benefits relating to Agent Orange, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has a list of U.S. Navy ships that operated in and around Vietnam. The list also includes eligibility for service outside of Vietnam or Korea. Please visit the VA website for more information. If your ship is not listed on the VA website and you feel you should be eligible for benefits, please contact the Archives Branch at email@example.com or (202) 433-3224 and we will assist you with your search for documentation.
- For veterans trying to verify events that occurred while assigned to a particular ship, squadron, or shore establishment, the unit's Command Operations Report (COR) might be useful. The COR provides a chronology of significant events and operations that occurred during a given year. Some of these reports are digitized here. If you do not see your command listed, please contact the Archives Branch at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 433-3224 and we will attempt to locate the relevant report for you.
- Events may also be verified using a ship's deck logs. Deck logs are a daily chronology of a ship's movements and certain events documented for administrative purposes. For information about obtaining copies of deck logs, click here.