Freeman Hamilton Cary was born in LaGrange, Georgia, on September 14, 1926, son of Ashton Hall and Edna (Freeman) Cary. He attended Georgia Institute of Technology at Atlanta from 1943 to 1945 and while there was a member of Phi Eta Sigma and won the Tau Beta Pi Sophomore Scholarship Award. He continued his studies at Emory University at Atlanta, from which he received the degrees of Bachelor of Science in 1946 and Doctor of Medicine in 1950.There, he was a member of Alpha Omega Alpha.
He interned at Grady Hospital, Atlanta, Georgia and remained there until 1954 as a Resident and Fellow in Clinical Cardiology. In 1953 he returned to Emory University, where he was an Instructor in Medicine.
Appointed Lieutenant in the Medical Corps of the US Naval Reserve on July 2, 1954, he resigned his commission (honorably) on March 25, 1964. On June 2, 1967 he accepted an appointment as Captain in the Medical Corps of the USNR and was advanced in rank of that of Rear Admiral, to date from January 3, 1973.
Ordered into active naval service, he reported in October 1954 as Ward Medical Officer in Medical Service at the Naval Hospital, Charleston, South Carolina. In April 1955 he transferred to the Naval Hospital, National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland, where he served as Physician in Cardiology Service until released from active duty on October 12, 1956.
He returned to Emory University as an Instructor in Medicine and in 1958 became an Associate in Medicine. During the period 1968 to 1971 he was Clinical Professor of Medical Education and Clinical Professor of Allied Health Services at the University of South Florida at Tampa. He also severed as Director of the Cardiac Clinic (1957- 1960) and Stroke Rehabilitation Clinic ( 1958-1960) at Grady Hospital; Director of Medical Education at Orange Memorial Hospital, Orlando, Florida (1960-1971) and Director of the Central Florida Blood Bank, Orlando (1963-1971).
Again ordered to active naval service, he reported in December 1971 as Senior Assistant to the Attending Physicians at the U. S. Capitol and in January 1973 became Attending Physicians, with additional duty on the Staff at the National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland.
Rear Admiral Cary has the National Defense Service Medal. He had been awarded the Bronze Medallion by the Florida Heart Association.
He is a member of Committees on Rehabilitation, Professional Education and Clinics (Chairman, 1959-1960) of the Georgia Heart Association; Member of the Board (President, 1968-1969) of thee Central Florida Heart Association (1961-1971); Member (President) of the Committees on Professional Education, Regional Program, Community Service and Research (1962-1971) and President (1970-1971) of the Florida Heart Association.
Dr. Cary is a Fellow of the American College of Physicians, of the American Heart Association’s Council of Clinical Cardiology and of the American College of Chest Physicians. He is certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine and its Sub-specialty Board in Cardiovascular Disease.