Charles Albert Appleby was born in Martinsburg, West Virginia, on September 13, 1910, son of George W. and Bertha (DeGrange) Appleby. He attended Shepherd College, Shepherdstown, West Virginia; Syracuse University, Syracuse, New York and received the degree of Bachelor of Commercial Science from Columbus University School of Accountancy, Washington, DC. His civilian employment was divided between radio and government, working for radio stations in Washington, DC and Syracuse, New York and positions with the Veterans Administration and the Railroad Retirement Board.
On May 24, 1937, he was appointed Assistant Paymaster, with the accompanying rank of Ensign, US Naval Reserve. He served as a Line Officer from August 15, 1940 until May 1947, when he transferred to the Regular Navy and returned to the Supply Corps. Advancing progressively in rank, he subsequently attained that of Captain, to date from July 1, 1956.
During the period May 1937, until the summer of 1940 he was on inactive duty, participating in drills with the US Naval Reserve in Washington, DC. Ordered into active Naval Service, he had duty in July and August 1940 with the V-7 and V-12 programs at the Navy Yard, Washington, DC. He was next assigned as Seaman Guard Officer at the Naval Receiving Station, Navy Yard, Washington, DC, and while there also served as Ships’ Service Officer and Recorder for Summary Courts Martial. He remained there after the United States entered World War II, December 8, 1941 and in June 1942 reported as Aide to the Chief of Naval Personnel, Navy Department, Washington, DC.
He had instruction at the Damage Control School, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, during June and July 1945, after which he had duty afloat as Assistant to the Executive Officer and Assistant to the Damage Control Officer on Board USS Indiana. Detached from that battleship in April 1946, he had terminal leave and in August of that year was released to inactive duty.
Returning to active Naval service in April 1947, he had duty in connection with the Supply Corps Reserve Program in the Bureau of Supplies and Accounts, Navy Department. Between July and December 1947, he had instruction at the Naval Supply Corps School, Bayonne, New Jersey, after which he served as Assistant to the Supply Officer at the Naval Air Station, Jacksonville, Florida. He reported in October 1948, as Supply and Fiscal Officer at the Naval Ordnance Plant, Indianapolis, Indiana, and two years later became Supply Officer on the staff of Commander Task Group THREE POINT THREE. In July 1951, he transferred, in a similar capacity, to the staff of Commander Naval Air Bases, Fourteenth Naval District, with headquarters at the Naval Air Station, Barbers Point, Oahu, Territory of Hawaii.
He was Operations Officer at the Naval Supply Depot, Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, from July 1953 until February 1955, then served as Assistant District Supply Officer and District Supply Officer at the Potomac River Naval Command, with headquarters at the Naval Gun Factory, Washington, DC. In November 1957, he reported as Supply and Fiscal Officer at the Naval Station, Argentia, Newfoundland and in November 1959 became Officer in Charge of the Navy Purchasing Office, Washington, DC. In July 1963, he assumed command of the Forms and Publications Supply Office, Byron, Georgia and in April 1964 was ordered detached for duty as Commanding Officer of the Naval Supply Depot, Guam, Mariana Islands.
Captain Appleby has the Naval Reserve Medal; American Defense Service Medal; American Campaign Medal; Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal; World War II Victory Medal; and the National Defense Service Medal.
He died September 7, 1987.