Mark Edwin Andrews, whose appointment as Assistant Secretary of the Navy was confirmed by the United States Senate on January 16, 1948, was sworn in on Wednesday, January 21, 1948, in the Office of the Secretary of the Navy, John L. Sullivan. The Honorable Wiley Rutledge, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a friend and former law professor of Mr. Andrews, administered the Oath of Office.
Mr. Andrews was born in Houston, Texas, on October 17, 1903, the son of Jesse and Celeste Andrews of Houston, Texas, and Kansas City, Missouri. He attended Lawrenceville School, Lawrenceville, New Jersey, from 1919 until 1923, when he was graduated. He received the Bachelor of Arts degree “cum laude” from Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey, in 1927, and in 1934 the Bachelor of Laws degree from the South Texas School of Law, Houston, Texas.
In 1927, Mr. Andrews organized the firm of Andrews, Loop and Company, Incorporated, cotton merchants and exporters, of which he was President. Beginning in 1934, he devoted his primary attention to the practice of law in Houston, specializing in oil, gas, and general business law. From 1936 until 1942, he was also engaged in general business enterprises as owner and operator of several oil producing properties in Texas and Louisiana, and was the president and owner of the Westmoreland Manufacturing Company, which specialized in the manufacturing of automobile parts and equipment.
Mr. Andrews, was commissioned Lieutenant in the US Naval Reserve on July 13, 1942, and subsequently promoted as follows: Lieutenant Commander, December 17, 1943; Commander, February 18, 1945; and Captain, November 7, 1945. He was assigned to the Executive Office of the Secretary of the Navy from January 8, 1943, until released to inactive duty.
In November, 1942, after some months of duty in the Bureau of Supplies and Accounts, Mr. Andrews (then Lieutenant) was assigned duty in the Negotiation Section, Bureau of Aeronautics, Navy Department, Washington, DC, for the procurement of air frames and aircraft engines. In December of that year he was assigned additional temporary duty in the Aviation Supply Office in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and served as Chief of the section charged with the negotiation of all procurements of that office, including aircraft accessories and parts. From August until December 1943, he again had duty in the Negotiation Section of the Bureau of Aeronautics.
Transferred from the Bureau of Aeronautics to the Bureau of Ships in December 1943, he became Chief of the Negotiation Section for the procurement of all combatant ships, landing craft and propulsion machinery. In May 1945, he assigned temporary duty in the office of the Chief of Naval Operations, to assist in the preparation of a special report for the Secretary of the Navy and the Commander in Chief, US Fleet.
On July 12, 1945, he became Chief of the Central Division, in the Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Navy, in charge of contract clearance, price analysis, special studies and OPA liaison. On October 1, 1945, he was designated Chief of Procurement, in the office of the Assistant Secretary, in charge of Navy procurement policy.
In November, 1945, by direction of the Secretary of the Navy, Captain Andrews prepared Recommendations for Navy Post War Procurement Policy and Organization. He was also the Navy Post War Procurement Policy and Organization. He was also the Navy Member of the “Procurement Policy Board,” originally set up by Donald Nelson, consisting of members from the War Production Board, the War Department, the Navy Department, the Treasury Department, the Maritime Commission, War Shipping Administration, and Smaller War Plants. He was appointed chairman of its committee to propose post war procurement legislation for the War and Navy Departments. This bill was signed by the President at a ceremony on February 19, 1948, which Mr. Andrews attended as Assistant Secretary of the Navy.
For services during World War II, Captain Andrews was awarded the Legion of Merit, with the following citation:
LEGION OF MERIT
“For exceptionally meritorious conduct in the performance of outstanding service to the Government of the United States from July 1942 to October 1945. By conducting important contract negotiations for the Navy Department with marked ability and dispatch, Commander Andrews aided materially in the prosecution of the war and in addition effected substantial monetary savings to the Government. His exceptional administrative leadership and eminent devotion to duty reflect great credit upon Commander Andrews and the United States Naval Service.”
He was released to inactive duty, in the rank of Captain, on August 15, 1946, and returned to his oil business in Texas. Since that time he has developed “deeper pay” wells at Orange, Texas, and a new field in Stephens County, Texas.
In addition to the Legion of Merit, Mr. Andrews is entitles to the American Area Campaign Medal and the World War II Victory medal, for service during World War II.
He died August 22, 1992.