The Bureau of Construction, Equipment and Repair was established 31 August 1842 at the same time that the Naval Board of Commissioner went out of existence. On 5 July 1862, it was split into the Bureau of Equipment and Recruiting, and the Bureau of Construction and Repairs. In 1940, the Bureau of Construction and Repairs combined with the Bureau of Engineering to from the Bureau of Ships. Effective 1 May 1966, title was changed to Naval Ship System Command. The Naval Ship System Command and the Naval Ordnance Command combined 1 July 1974 to form the Naval Sea System Command.
*CC - Chief Constructor, *CNC - Chief Naval Constructor, RADM - Rear Admiral, VADM - Vice Admiral