Skip to main content

The Navy Department Library

Related Content

Adapted from "Captain Everett Homer Dickinson, Medical Corps, United States Navy"  [biography, dated 29 March 1954] in Modern Biographical Files collection, Navy Department Library.

Adapted from "Captain Everett Homer Dickinson, Medical Corps, United States Navy"
[biography, dated 29 March 1954] in Modern Biographical Files collection, Navy Department Library.Adapted from "Captain Everett Homer Dickinson, Medical Corps, United States Navy"
[biography, dated 29 March 1954] in Modern Biographical Files collection, Navy Department Library.

  • Medicine
Document Type
  • Biography
Wars & Conflicts
  • World War II 1939-1945
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials
  • NHHC-Library

Everett Homer Dickinson

2 October 1897-[no death date]

Download PDF Version [5.6MB]

Everett Homer Dickinson was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on October 2, 1897, son of Franklin Pierce and Elizabeth Homer (Taylor) Dickinson. He attended public schools in Philadelphia, and while studying Medicine at Hahnemann Medical College in Philadelphia, served as a Private in that school’s Students Army Training Corps unit during the last months of the World War I period. He was graduated with the degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1921, after which he completed his internship and had two years’ graduate work in Surgery at the University of Pennsylvania Graduate School.

Commissioned Lieutenant (jg) in the Medical Corps of the US Navy on August 15, 1924, he later resigned from the Navy and was commissioned in the US Naval Reserve, effective October 1, 1930. On June 29, 1949 he was transferred back to the US Navy in the rank of Captain, his date of rank remaining June 1, 1943.

Beginning his Naval service in August 1924 as Assistant Surgeon at the Naval Hospital, Newport, Rhode Island, he remained there a year, after which he reported for four months’ instruction at the Naval Medical School, Washington, DC. In December 1925 he joined USS Dobbin as Junior Medical Officer, and in August of the next year, he was transferred to USS Mercy for duty as Assistant for Surgical Services. From April to June 1927 he was a student in Surgery at the University of Pennsylvania Graduate School, and for six months thereafter, he served at sea as Medical Officer of USS Wyoming.

In November 1927 he joined the staff of the Naval Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where he remained as Assistant Surgeon until transferred to the Naval Ammunition Depot, Fort Mifflin, Pennsylvania, in March 1930. In October of that year his resignation from the US Navy was accepted and he was commissioned in the Naval Reserve and ordered to the Reserve Unit of the Fourth Naval District at Philadelphia, as Medical Officer. While a member of that unit in inactive status for the ten years following, he was engaged in the private practice of surgery and held a Clinical Professorship in Surgery at the Hahnemann Medical College.

Recalled to active duty in October 1940, he served until February 1941 in Surgical Aviation Service at the Naval Hospital, Philadelphia. He was then ordered to sea as Medical Officer of USS Albemarle, and remained aboard that newly commissioned seaplane tender until December 1941, during which period she cruised twice to Argentia, Newfoundland. The Albemarle was at Norfolk when the United States entered World War II, and Doctor Dickinson was detached to return to duty at the Naval Hospital, Philadelphia, for the next six months.

Again ordered to duty afloat, he served as Senior Medical Officer of USS Idaho from 1942 to March 1944, and in that battleship participated in action in the Aleutians Operation early in 1943; the Gilbert Islands operation in November and December of that year; and in the Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls in the Marshalls. Upon his return to the United States, he was assigned to the Naval Hospital, San Diego, California, where he had administrative duties and served as Assistant Chief of Surgery throughout the remaining months of the war.

Dr. Dickinson was Officer in Charge of the Convalescent Unit of the Naval Hospital, Philadelphia, from September 1945 until January 1946. Upon detachment, he was again assigned to Reserve in the Fourth Naval District, this time as Commanding Officer of Medical Reserve Unit 4-9, and remained with that unit until his release to inactive status in June 1949. That month he was transferred to the US Navy, and again assigned to Surgical Services, Naval Hospital, Philadelphia, and in August was ordered to the Naval Hospital, Oakland, California, for a tour of duty as Chief of Surgical Service.

From August 1952 to June 1953 he served as Executive Officer and Acting Commanding Officer of the Naval Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee. Ordered next to the Navy Department, Washington, DC, he reported in July 1953 at Head of the Surgery Branch, Professional Division, Bureau of Medicine and Surgery.

Captain Dickinson has the Victory Medal, World War I; the American Defense Service Medal, Fleet Clasp; the American Campaign Medal; Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal wit three engagement stars; the World War II Victory Medal; and the National Defense Service Medal. He also has the Naval Reserve Medal for ten years’ service.


Published: Fri Dec 18 08:06:49 EST 2020