Archie Arthur Antrium was born in Arlington, Nebraska, on June 29, 1892, son of William E. and Margaret (Kingdon) Antrium. He Attended grammar and high schools in Arlington and enlisted in the US Navy as an Apprentice Seamen on January 17, 1910. He was appointed Acting Pay Clerk on September 28, 1917, and on September 1, 1918, was commissioned Assistant Paymaster in the US Navy, with the accompanying rank of Ensign. He subsequently advanced in rank, in the Supply Corps, attaining that of Rear Admiral to date from September 11, 1943. On April 1, 1956 he was transferred to the Retired List of the US Navy and was advanced to the rank of Vice Admiral on the basis of a combat award.
In an enlisted capacity he had training at the Naval Training Station, Yerba Buena Island, San Francisco, California; served in USS Hull (coal burning destroyer); attended the Yeoman School and was assigned to the Disbursing Office at the Naval Training Station, Yerba Buena Island, and during the Mexican Campaign (1914) was attached to USS Pittsburgh as Pay Department Yeoman. He transferred to USS Supply in January 1916, and in March 1917 was detached for duty in the Receiving Ship, San Francisco, California.
Following his commissioning in 1918, he remained aboard the Receiving Ship, San Francisco until October 1919, when he joined the collier Jupiter. Detached in March 1920, he reported the next month as Supply Officer of the collier Orion, and from December 1922 to March 1923 attended the Supply Corps School, Washington, DC. Reporting to the Navy Yard, Charleston, South Carolina, he served as Supply Officer in the Receiving Ship there, with additional duty as Officer in Charge of the Commissary Store in that Yard until August 1925. He was next assigned to the Fleet Canteen of Train Squadron ONE, Fleet Base. Force, based on Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and on June 12, 1926, joined USS Salinas as Supply Officer.
He was Officer in Charge of the Commissary Store, Naval Air Station, Coco Solo, Canal Zone, between October 1927 and November 1929, and for the following three years had duty as Assistant to the Officer in Charge of the Naval Supply Depot, Naval Operating Base, Hampton Roads, Virginia. From April 1933 to October 1934 he was Assistant to the Supply Officer of the Navy Yard, Cavite, Philippine Islands, and on October 16, 1934, reported as Supply Officer of USS Canopus, serving in her until February 1936.
Returning to the United States in April 1936, he was Assistant to the Officer in Charge of the Naval Clothing Depot, New York, New York, until September of that year, when he was assigned to the Third Naval District, New York. In March 1938 he transferred to the Naval Supply Depot, Norfolk, Virginia, serving there until December 1938, when he joined USS Maryland as Supply Officer.
In November 1940, he assumed duty as Officer in Charge of Supplies and Accounts Plans, War Plans, Third Naval District, New York, with brief additional duty as Assistant to the Supply Officer in that District, and in May 1941, was transferred to Bayonne, New Jersey, to assist in the establishment of the Naval Supply Depot, there.
In February 1942, he reported as Officer in Charge of Supply, Accounting and Disbursing functions for the US Navy in Australia. In July of that year he was assigned additional duty as Navy Member, General Purchasing Board, and in November was transferred to duty as Force Supply Officer, Service Forces, Southwest Pacific. For outstanding services in the above assignments, from February 2, 1942, to October 1943, he was awarded the Legion of Merit with Combat “V.” The citation states in part: “…Cooperating closely with the General Purchasing Agent of the Army, (he) conceived and organized a Naval Supply System with depots in several principal Australian ports and, by his tireless energy, keen foresight and tact, was responsible for the expeditious acquisition, construction and stocking of these depots production to fill the needs of the Navy in carrying out its vital operations…”
He reported in November 1943, as Officer in Charge of the Logistics Planning Division, Bureau of Supplies and Accounts, Navy Department, Washington, DC, and for “outstanding services (in that capacity)…from November 20, 1943 to October 15, 1945…” he received a Letter of Commendation, with authorization to wear the Commendation Ribbon, from the Secretary of the Navy. The citation continues in part: “While serving in this capacity, Commodore Antrim through exercise of superior judgement, tireless industry and his appreciation of the high purpose of his office inspired the inauguration and implementation of a planning structure which made possible efficient, orderly, bureau coordination with the supply forces afloat and overseas. Constantly alert to the reapidly[sic] changing conditions of war, (he) was quick to exploit in the most effective manner the resources of the personnel and facilities available to him…”
In July 1946, he joined the staff of Commander Service Force, US Pacific Fleet, as Supply Officer, with additional duty as Fleet Supply Officer, US Pacific Fleet. Following a month’s assignment in the Bureau of Supplies and Accounts, Navy Department, he assumed duty in August 1948 as Officer in Charge of Navy Ships Store, Brooklyn, New York. He continued to serve in that capacity until June 1950, when he became Commanding Officer of the Naval Supply Depot, Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania. On March 31, 1954, he assumed command of the Naval Supply Center, Norfolk, Virginia, where he remained until relieved of all active duty pending his retirement, effective April 1, 1956.
In additional to the Legion of Merit with Combat “v,” and the Commendation Ribbon, Vice Admiral Antrim has the Victory Medal (World War I); the American Defense Service Medal, Fleet Clasp; the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal; the American Campaign Medal; The World War II Victory Medal; and the National Defense Service Medal. He also has the Good Conduct Medal with Clasp (enlisted service).