Lee Wilson Fisher was born in Weehawken, New Jersey, on August 28, 1925, son of Dewitt and Anna (Wilson) Fisher. He enlisted in the V 12 Program of the US Naval Reserve on July 1, 1943 and was a student at Hobart College, Geneva, New York, until February 1944. He next attended the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, New York and while there was a member of the Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps Unit. He was commissioned Ensign in the US Naval Reserve on October 20, 1945 and in March 1947, in that rank, transferred from the Naval Reserve to the US Navy. He subsequently advanced in rank to that of Captain, to date from May 1, 1967. His selection for the rank of Rear Admiral was approved by the President on January 30, 1974.
After receiving his commission in 1945, he attended Destroyer School at Norfolk, Virginia, until January 1946, then joined the USS Cotton (DD-669) as Engineer Assistant. The next month he transferred to the USS Myles C. Fox (DD-829) and served as Engineer Officer and Combat Information Center Officer until February 1948. He next had duty as Stores and Commissary Officer, First Lieutenant and Executive Officer of the USS E-PC(E)-850. In July 1950 he reported for instruction in Naval Engineering (Mechanical) at the Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, California, from which he received the degree of Bachelor of Science and Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering.
Assigned in July 1953 to the Naval Shipyard, New York, New York, he was Prospective Main Propulsion Assistant for the USS Hornet (CVA-12), under conversion to an attack aircraft carrier. Upon her recommissioning on September 11, 1953, he joined her as Main Propulsion Assistant. While he was on board that attack aircraft carrier, he participated in training exercise in the Caribbean, an eight-month global cruise, operations in the Mediterranean Sea and Indian Ocean and in a deployment with the mobile Seventh Fleet in the South China Sea. From February 1955 to July 1957 he was Assistant for Material in the Office of the Naval Inspector of Material, Camden, New Jersey, after which he severed as Assistant Planning and Estimating Superintendent for New Construction at the San Francisco (California) Naval Shipyard.
In August 1960 he joined the Staff of Commander Naval Air Force, US Pacific Fleet as Assistant Ship Material Officer and in October 1964 was detached for duty as Assistant for Ships in the Aircraft Carriers and Seaplane Tenders Branch, Bureau of Ships, Navy Department, Washington, DC. Upon the reorganization of the Navy Department in May 1966, the Bureau of Ships became the Naval Ship Systems Command and he assumed duty as Assistant for Machinery, Aircraft Carriers Acquisition Project. He remained there until May 1967, then became Senior Hull Inspector on the Board of Inspection and Survey, Navy Department. “For meritorious service from May 12 to August 12, 1968…” he was awarded the Navy Commendation Medal. The citation further states
“…Captain Fisher has been responsible for inspecting surface ships in the area of hull, hull auxiliaries, deck, damage control and habitability and has made a significant contribution to the Navy in improving inspection techniques and procedures…”
In August 1968 he joined the Staff of Commander Naval Air Force, US Atlantic Fleet as Ship Material Officer and “for exceptionally meritorious conduct…” in that capacity was awarded the Legion of Merit. The citation continues in part: “… Demonstrating superb leadership instrumental in arresting material deterioration of Naval Air Force, U.S. Atlantic Fleet ships and continuously improving their combat readiness…”
He assumed command of the US Naval Ship Repair Facility, Subic Bay, Luzon, Philippine Islands, in July 1971.
In addition to the Legion of Merit and the Navy Commendation Medal, Captain Fisher has the China Service Medal; American Campaign Medal; Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal; World War II Victory Medal; Navy Occupation Service Medal, Asia Clasp and the National Defense Service Medal with bronze star.