Henry Raymond Delaney was born on August 15, 1895, in Fall River Massachusetts, son of the late John E. and Josephine Corregan Delaney. He attended Dufree High School in Fall River, and Tufts College, Boston, Massachusetts, receiving his degree of Doctor of Dental Medicine from the latter in 1917. On May 5, 1917 he enlisted as a Seaman, US Naval Reserve Force, and on November 14, 1917 was commissioned as Assistant Dental Surgeon in the Reserve. Appointed Lieutenant (jg) in the Dental Corps of the Regular Navy on June 7, 1920, he advanced progressively in grade to that of Rear Admiral, to date from March 25, 1943. He was transferred on May 1, 1954 to the Retired List of the US Navy.
Following his enlistment in 1917, he had indoctrination training at the Naval Training Station, Newport, Rhode Island, and later in 1917, when commissioned, he was attached to the Receiving Ship, New York, New York. In June 1918 he was assigned to the armored cruiser Frederick (ex-Maryland), and in August 1919 was detached for shore duty as Dental Officer at the Naval Hospital, New York. Four months later he reported as Assistant Dental Officer at the Naval Training Station, Newport Rhode Island, and in November 1920 transferred to the Naval Torpedo Station, Newport, to serve as Dental Officer.
Returning to sea, he had consecutive duty in the hospital ships Relief and Mercy, and between May 1924 and August 1927 served in the Bureau of Medicine and Surgery, Navy Department, Washington, DC, and as an Instructor at the Naval Medical School. After a cruise in the submarine tender Camden, which extended to October 1929, he returned to duty as Instructor at the Naval Medical School. He completed a graduate course in oral surgery and pathology at Georgetown University, Washington, DC, in 1934, receiving a Master of Science degree in Biology. He also served as White House Dental Surgeon.
From May 1934 to June 1936 he was attached to USS Wyoming. He next had a tour of duty at the Naval Academy, Annapolis, Maryland, and while there was active in coaching athletic teams. He joined the battleship Tennessee in January 1939 and when detached in July 1941 was again assigned to Naval Training Station, Newport, Rhode Island.
In October 1943 he reported as District Dental Officer, Eighth Naval District, New Orleans, Louisiana, where he was organizer and administrator of Dental service. Continuing in that assignment until October 1945, he then transferred to the Third Naval District, New York, New York, in the same capacity.
In January 1947 he reported for duty as General Inspector, Dental, Bureau of Medicine and Surgery, Navy Department and, from April 15 of that year, he served as Deputy Chief, Dental Division and Head of the Planning and Analysis Branch of that Bureau. In October 1949 he served temporarily as Director of the Dental Division of the newly created Military Sea Transportation Service, Navy Department.
In April 1950 he was ordered to the Atlantic Coast for duty as Inspector of Dental Activities, with additional duty as District Dental Officer, Third Naval District, New York, New York, and on the staff of the Commander, Eastern Sea Frontier. He continued to serve in that capacity until relieved of all active duty, pending his retirement, effective May 1, 1954.
Rear Admiral Delaney has the Victory Medal with Bronze Star (World War I); the American Defense Service Medal; the American Campaign Medal; the World War II victory Medal; and the National Defense Service Medal. He also holds the Navy Expert Pistol Shot’s Medal.
Rear Admiral Delaney is a member of the American Dental Association, American College of Dentists, the New York Academy of Dentistry, Psi Omega and Omicron Kappa Upsilon Fraternities, Tufts and Georgetown Alumni Associations, the Association of Military Surgeons of the United States, the Naval Order of the United States, the Naval Academy Athletic Association, and the American Association for the Advancement of Science. He has contributed to Stitt’s Bacteriology (7th Edition), and other writings.
He died December 12, 1979.