Norman Oliver Anderson was born in St. Paul, Minnesota, on 23 August 1907, son of Godfrey A. and Lydia H. Anderson. He was graduated from Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri, with the degree of Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, and in 1929 joined the faculty of Park Air College. There he taught Pilots Ground School, and in 1932 become Dean of Aeronautical Engineering and Pilots School.
He resigned his position in 1938 to accept an appointment as teacher with the St. Louis Public School system, and during the two following years taught aeromechanics and assisted in the development of the course. In 1940 he was employed by the Civil Aeronautics Administration to prepare a text book for pilots' instruction. This book was later published by the Government Printing Office, Washington, DC.
In 1927 he enlisted as a Seaman Second Class in the US Naval Reserve, and on 11 February 1928 was commissioned Ensign, USNR. Advancing progressively in rank, he subsequently attained that of Captain, to date from 1 July 1950.
Reporting for active duty in June 1927, he had flight training at the Naval Air Station, Norfolk, Virginia, and later that year was designated Naval Aviator. Between October 1927 and August 1940, he was Squadron Flight Officer with the Organized Reserve, after which he had duty at the Naval Air Station, Pensacola, Florida, in connection with the establishing of the Naval Air Station, Jacksonville, Florida. Assigned to the Pilots Ground School at the latter Air Station in October 1940, he became Officer in Charge of that school, and later assumed similar duty at the Student Officers Headquarters. He also served as Coordinator of the WAVE Program and Officer in Charge of the Officers Indoctrination School.
Ordered to Norfolk, Virginia, he reported in May 1943 as Officer in Charge of the Aviation Department of CUB-8. He remained in that capacity until March 1944, when he assummed command of the Aviation Repair and Overhaul Unit #2 at the Naval Air Station, Norfolk. A month later that unit was transferred to the Naval Air Station, Alameda, California, from where the unit, under his command, left for the Pacific to serve under Commander SEVENTH Fleet - based at Los Negros, Manus Island and at the Naval Air Base, Philippines - during the last year of the war. In October 1945 he became Commander Naval Air Base, Samar, Philippine Islands. He was relieved of this duty in March 1946, and reported to Great Lakes Naval Training Station for separation..."
While on terminal leave, he returned to active duty in June 1946, as Executive Officer of the Naval Air Station, St. Louis, Missouri, and in July 1949 was transferred in a similar capacity to the Naval Air Station, Grosse Ile, Michigan. He remained there until September 1950 , when he assumed command of the Naval Air Station, Niagara Falls, New York. Since July 1952 he has been assigned to the Bureau of Aeronautics, Navy Department, Washington, DC, where he currently serves as Assistant to the Chief of the Bureau of Naval Air Reserve matters.
Captain Anderson has the American Defense Service Medal; the American Campaign Medal; the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal; and the World War II Victory Medal. He also has the Naval Reserve Medal with one star.