Charles Allegrone was born in Centerville, Connecticut, on 28 August 1914, son of Louis and Mary (Pernigotti) Allegrone. He attended Pittsfield (Massachusetts) High School and in June 1937 received the degree of Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering from Ohio Northern University at Columbus. During his summer vacations he helped his father, a general contractor in Pittsfield. He subsequently worked in the Construction and Maintenance Department of Colonial Beacon Oil Company, Boston, Massachusetts, where he was engaged in the construction of service stations and bulk plants. Prior to reporting for active duty he was employed by Esso Marketers.
He was commissioned Ensign in the Civil Engineer Corps of the US Naval Reserve on 15 July 1941. Advancing progressively in rank he subsequently attained that of Captain, CEO, to date from 1 July 1960, having transferred to the Civil Engineer Corps of the Regular Navy on 11 March 1943.
Ordered into active naval service, he was assigned in October 1941 to the Naval Ordnance Plant, South Charleston, West Virginia, where he served as Maintenance and Housing Officer and Assistant Inspector of Construction until September 1942. He then reported as Assistant Officer in Charge of Civil Works Contracts in the Office of the Inspector of Naval Material, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. From February 1943 until October 1944 he was Public Works Officer at the Naval Operating Base, Oran, Algeria and for his outstanding performance of duty in that capacity, received a Letter of Commendation, with authorization to wear the Commendation Ribbon, from Commander Naval Forces, Eastern Atlantic and Mediterranean. The citation follows in part:
"During the period of amphibious assaults on the Island of Sicily and on Italy...you supervised all the initial planning for all alterations and construction of projects including those projects constructed by the 120th Construction Battalion, that were required for the activities comprising the Naval Operating Base, Oran. The accomplishment of these projects were essential to the operation of this base and thus greatly contributed to the success of the amphibious operation."
He next served as Manager of the Advanced Base Planning Branch in the Bureau of Yards and Docks, Navy Department, Washington, DC. In November 1945 he reported as Resident Officer in Charge of Construction Reserve Fleet Berthing Contract, Naval Station, San Diego, California. As such he was in charge of the construction of waterfront works, including piers, dredging, quaywall and supporting utilities (approximate cost $14,000,000). During the period June 1947 to July 1948 he was a student at the Naval War College, Newport, Rhode Island and remained there, serving in the Department of Logistics, until May 1949.
Following an assignment as Officer in Charge of the Headquarters Shops Division in the District Public Works Office, Fourteenth Naval District, Pearl Harbor, Territory of Hawaii, he reported in January 1952 as Operations Officer, later served as Executive Officer, at the Public Works Center, US Naval Base, Norfolk, Virginia. Ordered to Spain, he was assigned in May 1954 as Resident Officer in Charge of Construction, Bureau of Yards and Docks Contracts, Madrid, where he remained until June 1957. In that capacity, he was charged with the construction of Air Force facilities at Torrejon Air Base and supporting facilities in Central Spain (approximate cost $90,000,000). He received a Letter of Commendation, with authorization to wear the Commendation Ribbon, from the Air Force and was cited for his "meritorious service while serving...(in that assignment) during the period May 21, 1954 until June 9, 1957..."
Returning to the United States in July 1957 he served as Director Special Projects and Coordination Staff in the Bureau of Yards and Docks, Navy Department, and as Director of the Contract Labor Relations Staff until June 1959. The next month he became Assistant Head of the Technical Branch, Military Construction and Maintenance Division, Office of the Chief of Naval Operations, Navy Department. In February 1962 he reported as Deputy District Public Works Officer in the First Naval District, with headquarters in Boston, Massachusetts and in July 1963 was assigned to the Bureau of Yards and Docks, Navy Department. He transferred in June 1964 to the Office of Naval Material, where he then served as Director of the Facilities Division.
In addition to the two Letters of Commendation (one Air Force and one Navy), Captain Allegrone had the American Defense Service Medal; American Campaign Medal; European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal; World War II Victory Medal; and the National Defense Service Medal.