The Navy Department Library
- Manuscript Index
- President John Quincy Adams
- Samuel Adams Letter - 9 December 1784
- Rear Admiral James Alden letter 13 December 1871
- Daniel Ammen 21 December 1885 to E.C. Brown
- Daniel Ammen manuscript 18 March 1886 to E.C. Brown
- Daniel Ammen manuscript 10 March 1886
- Daniel Ammen manuscript 16 May 1886
- Daniel Ammen manuscript Nov 1885
- Admiral George Anderson - Shore to Ship Via Moon" Message."
- William C. Aylwin manuscript 14 March 1822
- Benjamin Babb manuscript 26 November 1813
- Commander George Mifflin Bache - inventory of his collection at the Navy Department Library
- Images of John Backus manuscript journal
- George E. Badger manuscript 31 May 1841
- George E. Badger manuscript - 17 August 1841
- Captain William Bainbridge, USN - 26 February 1794
- Captain William Bainbridge, USN - 30 June 1818
- Captain William Bainbridge manuscript - 29 September 1825.
- Captain William Bainbridge letter dated 26 may 1827
- Barbary Wars manuscript
- Captain Joshua Barney manuscript December 1782
- Captain Joshua Barney manuscript- 26 April 1814
- Captain James Barron - 4 June 1834
- Captain John Barry - 26 May 1797
- Captain Frank W. Bartlett, USN - manuscript - Naval Yarns.
- Captain Alexander B. Bates - Manuscript Collection
- Quartermaster Second Class Joseph A. Beatty, USN. – WWII Diary
- Captain James Biddle, USN
- Binoculars, rental by the US Navy during World War I.
- Commodore George S. Blake, USN - manuscript - 20 February 1846.
- Abraham Blanchard - manuscript - 10 February 1815
- Lieutenant George Preston Blow, USN - Inventory of Collection.
- Charles Bonaparte, Secretary of the Navy - manuscript - 14 July 1905.
- Special Order No. 73 - 18 April 1905 - Bonaparte manuscript
- Abel Bowen wood cut engravings
- R.H. Bradford manuscript dated 4 August 1830
- John Branch, Secretary of the Navy - manuscript - 12 September 1829.
- British Navy (Royal Navy) Letter dated 1763.
- Royal Navy Broadside
- Captain Franklin Buchanan, USN
- Admiral Franklin Buchanan, CSN Battery Buchanan Muster Roll.
- Admiral Arleigh A. Burke, USN: Inventory of His Collection in the Navy Department Library
- Certificate - Honorary Member Amphibious Force U.S. Pacific Fleet - Admiral Arleigh Burke.
- Plank Owner Certificate to Admiral Arleigh Burke From USS Barry
- Typed letter to Commodore Arleigh Burke from Bureau of Naval Personnel About His Commission
- Admiral Arleigh Burke - Deep Dive Diploma
- Certificate of Honorary Membership in Destroyer Force, US Atlantic Fleet to Admiral Arleigh Burke
- Document to Admiral Arleigh Burke from Vice Admiral Hayward.
- Admiral Arleigh Burke Farewell Letter to the US Navy
- Message: From Admiral William (Bull") Frederick Halsey Jr. to Captain Arleigh ("31-Knot") A. Burke
- Birthday Greetings to Admiral Arleigh Burke From the Crew of the USS Apple Orchard.
- Captain Arleigh Burke's Crossing the Line Certificate Aboard USS Huntington
- Honeywell Nuclear Reactor Simulator License No.1 for Admiral Arleigh Burke
- Typed Letter From Admiral Burke to Captain Maynard
- Certificate Designating Admiral Arleigh Burke a Member of the Realm of Project Mercury Recovery Force
- Certificate of Enrollment in the Mine Force, U.S. Atlantic Fleet to Admiral Arleigh Burke
- Certificate Making Mrs. Burke Destroyer Lady
- Typed letter to Captain Burke from the Chief of Naval Personnel
- Certificate Appointing Arleigh Burke an Admiral in the North Carolina Navy
- Certificate Appointing Arleigh Burke an Admiral in the Nebraskan Navy
- Ephemera of Admiral Arleigh Burke
- Admiral Arleigh Burke - Certificate Designating as a Naval Ordnance Engineer
- Certificate from the Esteemed Order of Bearers of the Master Key to the Panama Canal Making Admiral Arleigh Burke an Honorary Lead Pilot
- Typed Letter to Admiral Arleigh Burke - Permanent Appointment to Rear Admiral.
- Honorary Plank Owner Certificate to Admiral Arleigh Burke From USS Providence
- Shellback Certificate for Lt. Arleigh Burke
- George W. Butcher - manuscript- USS Ranger journal
- Rear Admiral Henry Varnum Butler, USN - A Register of His Papers in the Navy Department Library
- Paymaster General Horatio Bridge, USN - Collection in the Navy Department Library.
- Commissioning Certificates of US Navy Officers in the Navy Department Library.
- Gunnery Sergeant Richard W. Cunningham, USMC - an inventory of his collection at the Navy Department Library
- Certificate - 100 Foot Escape LTJG M. Davidian, USNR.
- Secretary of the Navy John H. Chaffee
- Meritorious Unit Commendation - Task Group 115.1
- Meritorious Unit Commendation - USS Saint Paul (CA-73)
- Navy Unit Commendation - Naval Reconnaissance and Technical Support Center.
- Navy Unit Commendation - River Division 553
- Navy Unit Commendation - Units of CTG 115.7 participating in Operation SEA FLOAT
- US Naval Cargo Handling Battalion Two
- Captain Isaac Chauncey, USN - Letter from Isaac Chauncey to Midshipman E. Mulford, dated 9 May 1826
- Captain Isaac Chauncey, USN - An autographed letter signed, dated 9 February 1814, New York. To Commodore Bainbridge. Requesting
- Civil War Naval Correspondence of Elisha Harsen
- Civil War Navy
- Seaman Second Class James C. Clemens, USN - an inventory of his collection at the Navy Department Library
- U.S.S. Cole (DDG-67) Senate Resolution Concerning Terrorist Attack in Aden, Yemen on 12 October 2000.
- Confederate Navy Pay
- U.S. Frigate Constitution
- Gunnery Sergeant Richard W. Cunningham, USMC - an inventory of his collection at the Navy Department Library
- Asa Curtis proof of US Citizenship
- Asa Curtis letter dated 2 March 1825
- Letter to Asa Curtis dated 26 December 1829
- Asa Curtis leave of absence 1830
- Asa Curtis Warrant for payment, 1831
- Asa Curtis - Letter of reference, dated 3 June 1833
- Asa Curtis - Letter of reference, dated 9 March 1836
- Asa Curtis, service record up to 24 October 1836
- Asa Curtis - Gun survey, 1 April 1837
- Order to Asa Curtis, 14 August 1838
- Letter to Asa Curtis dated 28 November 1838.
- Letter to Asa Curtis dated 18 December 1838
- Asa Curtis - Letter, dated 15 February 1839, to Congressman L. Paynter
- Letter to Asa Curtis dated 5 May 1839
- Letter signed and dated 17 January 1840. From M. Paulding to James Biddle, Governor of the US Naval
- Letter signed and dated 23 September 1841. From Robert Kirk to Asa Curtis, regarding a dispute over a payment for repairs
- Asa Curtis - Letter, dated 21 June 1844
- Asa Curtis - Letter of reference dated 12 November 1844
- Asa Curtis - Letter dated 25 November 1845
- Asa Curtis - From Captain F. Forrest aboard USS St Lawrence
- Asa Curtis - Dimensions of the U. S. Frigate United States
- Miniature portrait of Asa Curtis
- Asa Curtis Personal Log
- Asa Curtis Personal Rules Log
- LTJG Slade Cutter, USN, Letter to his mother, dated 11 December 1941, on board the USS Pompano
- Easter Sunday USS Maryland - 1935
- Commander William S. Edwards Collection of Material Relating to US Navy Uniforms.
- President Dwight D. Eisenhower
- Rear Admiral Mordecai T. Endicott Collection
- Admiral David G. Farragut's Letter to Rear Admiral Porter.
- Admiral David G. Farragut's Letter to his wife
- Signalman Donald T. File - WWII Letters
- Rear Admiral Andrew Foote - Letter from Andrew H. Foote to Commander Walke of USS Carondelet
- French C. Forrest - Letter from French C. Forrest to Flag Officer Randolph, Commander at Mobile Alabama.
- Rear Admiral William J. Galbraith, USN (Ret) An Inventory of His Collection in the Navy Department Library
- RADM William J. Galbraith, USN (Ret.) letters.
- British license for the US merchant ship Fame signed by King George III
- Vice Admiral Robert C. Giffen, USN - Inventory of Collection.
- President Ulysses S. Grant
- U.S.S. Guam Certificate of Appreciation
- Extracts from the Diary of Rear Admiral Gibson
- Commodore Robert S. Haggart, USN - an inventory of his collection at the Navy Department Library.
- William Metcalf Hawkins - Civil War Diary (1862-1865)
- Rear Admiral Joseph N. Hemphill, USN - Manuscript Collection
- Lt. Cmdr. Sam Antonia Hill, USN - an inventory of his collection at the Navy Department Library.
- Nathaniel B. Hinckley Family Collection – Nineteenth Century Documents
- Commander Edward Hooker
- Lord (Richard) Howe, Admiral, RN.
- Rear Admiral John C. Howell - A Register of His Papers.
- Captain Isaac Hull, USN - Autograph Signed Letter dated 12 May 1819.
- Captain Isaac Hull - Autographed Letter Signed and dated 4 June 1819.
- Captain Isaac Hull, USN - autographed letter signed and dated 4 June 1824.
- Nile's Register November 23, 1822 - Isaac Hull.
- H.L. Hunley
- Map of Kama Koura
- Opening of Japan Diamond Sutra
- Japanese Surrender on USS Missouri, Attendance Certificate
- Mediterranean Passport (1807)
- Rear Admiral Carlton B. Jones flimsie message 7 December 1941 Air Raid
- Rear Admiral Carlton B. Jones, USN - "Flimsie" Message 8 December 1941
- John Paul Jones Manuscript - Invitation 1790
- John Paul Jones Manuscript - Fragment of Ledger
- John Paul Jones
- John Paul Jones Manuscript-Dropped charges and grievances against one John Paul Jones Whitehaven England
- Chief Gunners Mate John Henry Kauffman, USN
- Captain George H. Kearny, USN - Manuscript Collection
- Captain Edward Stanley Kellogg, USN - Collection at the Navy Department Library
- Seaman First Class William G. Kelly, USN - Collection at the Navy Department Library.
- Captain Edmund Kennedy, USN.
- British Letter of Marque - 1813.
- Letter from Admiral Husband Kimmel to Mr. Lloyd Tatum.
- Letter of Marque commissioning the schooner Lucy as a privateer during the War of 1812.
- President Abraham Lincoln - Appointment of John Woodward Philip as a Midshipman by President Abraham Lincoln.
- Thomas Macdonough Letter - Letter from Thomas Macdonough to Secretary of the Navy Samuel Southard regarding Moses M. Wilson's appointment as a midshipman.
- Thomas Macdonough Letter - Letter from Thomas Macdonough acknowledging receipt of half-pay as a Lieutenant.
- Thomas Macdonough Letter - Letter from Thomas Macdonough to Commodore Edward Preble regarding the escape of John Tuck.
- Stephen R. Mallory - Two letters from Stephen R. Mallory regarding a bounty for recruiting enlisted sailors during the Civil War.
- Matthew Fontaine Maury - Letter from Matthew Fontaine Maury to Cary, Lea, & Company regarding publication of his manuscript on navigation.
- Pharmacist Mate James Monaghan - Minstrel Program.
- James M. Monaghan, Pharmacist Mate, USN - Maunscript Page.
- President James Monroe
- James Monroe Secretary of State
- James Monroe - Document dated 26 November 1813 requesting confirmation of Benjamin Babb's U.S. citizenship.
- Lieutenant John J. Moran, USNR - World War II Armed Guard Logbook
- Lieutenant Commander Edward R. Morris, USN (Ret.).
- Lieutenant Commander Edward R. Morris, USN (Ret.).
- Captain George W. Much - Manuscript List.
- Captain Henry C. Mustin, USN - Manuscript Collection.
- Menus from Ship to Shore
- Naval Building Project Letters, 1814-1854
- List of New York Navy Yard Maps
- Captain Somerville Nicholson, USN - Appointment of Somerville Nicholson to the rank of Captain.
- Admiral Chester W. Nimitz - Collection List.
- President Richard Milhous Nixon - Presidential Unit Citation (Navy) - MOBILE RIVERINE FORCE (TASK FORCE 117).
- President Richard Milhous Nixon - Presidential Unit Citation (Navy) - TASK FORCE 115.
- President Richard Milhous Nixon - Presidential Unit Citation (Navy) - RUNG SAT SPECIAL ZONE RIVER PATROL GROUP.
- President Richard Milhous Nixon - Presidential Unit Citation (Navy) - HELICOPTER ATTACK (LIGHT) SQUADRON THREE.
- President Richard Milhous Nixon - Presidential Unit Citation (Navy) - COMMANDER TASK GROUP 194.9.
- President Richard Milhous Nixon - Presidential Unit Citation (Navy) - Commander Task Group 194.0.
- President Richard Milhous Nixon.
- Lt. Addison Grant Noble, Chaplain, USN - an inventory of his collection at the Navy Department Library.
- Donald W. Panek - WWII Diary - Invasion of Okinawa
- USS Parche - Decommissioning letter.
- Commodore George H. Perkins, USN, Collection
- Captain Oliver Hazard Perry - Engraving of Oliver Hazard Perry and requisition for coal for the frigate Java.
- List of Gifts - Perry Expedition - Opening of Japan.
- Captain Oliver Hazard Perry - Autograph letter signed and dated 3 September 1815, USS Java, Hampton
- Lieutenant Sherwood Picking's Diary 1918
- Rear Admiral David D. Porter - General Orders issued by Rear Admiral David D. Porter while commanding the Mississippi Squadron during the Civil War.
- Ernie Pyle, War Correspondent.
- Admiral Joseph Mason Reeves, USN.
- Frank O. Rose, Chief Special Mechanic, USN.
- Gerard Rozett, Electrician’s Mate Chief, USN.
- Battle of Santiago, Eyewitness Account
- Captain Thomas Saunders - Transcript of a Conference - 3 and 8 December 1741
- Sybrant Van Schaick - U.S. Brig Argus Journal
- Stephen Sicard Letter - Commodore David Dixon Porter
- James Russell Soley Manuscript - Letter - 17 Oct 1890
- Albert Southard – Diary – USS Ticonderoga (screw sloop-of-war) (1878)
- Space Flight Recovery Operations Collection: US Navy
- Admiral Raymond Spruance - Cassedy Letter
- Benjamin Stoddert Letter - 6 June 1799
- Benjamin Stoddert Letter - Stephen Mayhew - 7 June 1800
- Benjamin Stoddert Letter - Colonel Burr - 3 February 1802
- Edward P. Street - World War I Collection
- Arthur I. Strong Collection
- Baynard Taylor letter dated 12 July 1856
- Passed Engineer Robert Salmond Talbot, USN
- Rear Admiral Charles M. Thomas - Great White Fleet Diary
- James C. Tiley Collection
- Thomas Tingey Letter - 2 May 1795 - Ownership of Ganges
- Thomas Tingey Manuscript - 21 November 1801
- Thomas Tingey Letter - John Rose - 10 December 1817
- Thomas Tingey Letter - 20 June 1822
- Thomas Tingey Manuscript - 9 January 1823
- Thomas Tingey Letter - 15 January 1827
- Vice Admiral Mahlon S. Tisdale - Manuscript Collection
- Scale Model Aircraft Certificate
- Frederick Tudor - Manuscript Collection
- Captain Raymond F. Tyler, Naval Aviator (LTA), USN
- US Navy Uniform Regualtion 1797 Broadside
- U.S. Frigate Enlistment Oath of Eight Seamen
- US Navy Recovery Tasks Groups
- Viet Cong (People's Liberation Armed Forces) Commendation Certificate.
- Captain William L. Ware, USN An Inventory of His Collection in the Navy Department Library.
- John W. Warner, Secretary of the Navy
- John W. Warner, (Acting) Secretary of the Navy - Navy Unit Commendation - Fleet Air Support Unit, Binh Thuy, Republic of Vietnam
- John W. Warner, (Acting) Secretary of the Navy - Meritorious Unit Commendation - Termnial Navy Post Office, Subic Bay.
- John W. Warner, (Acting) Secretary of the Navy - Meritorious Unit Commendation - US Naval Investigative Service Office, Vietnam
- John W. Warner, (Acting) Secretary of the Navy - Meritorious Unit Commendation - USS Everett F. Larson (DD-830)
- First Anniversary of WAVES
- Commodore Abraham Whipple Commissioning Certificate, dated 8 December 1775
- Charles N. Wilson
- World War I British and German Naval Messages (1918)
- Lieutenant Francis H. Yonker, USNR - Manuscript Collection.
- Leo C. Young, Radar Pioneer
- Admiral Elmo R. Zumwalt, Jr.
- Meritorious Unit Commendation - Landing Ship Squadron Two
- Meritorious Unit Commendation - Riverine Strike Group (Task Group 194.7)
- Meritorious Unit Commendation - USS Berkeley (DDG-15)
- Meritorious Unit Commendation - USS Chara (AE-31)
- Meritorious Unit Commendation - USS Hanson (DD-832)
- Meritorious Unit Commendation - USS Platte (AO-24)
- Meritorious Unit Commendation - USS Sanctuary (AH-17)
- Places-Shore Facilities--Bases-Stations-Labs-Installations
- Primary Source Document
- Secretary of the Navy (SECNAV)
- Image (gif, jpg, tiff)
Secretary of the Navy
ALS dated 3 February 1802, Georgetown. To Colonel [Vice President Aaron] Burr. Detailing information on land he has available for sale (particularly in square 882 adjoining the Washington Navy Yard).
Geo[rge]Town 3 Feb 1802
I do myself the honor to enclose a list of the
squares in which I have lots, showing the number
of square feet in each square, the prices, and the total
amount, being 161,003 Dollars. In this list, I
have added some lots not in the list here to foregiven-
particularly in square 882 as joining the Navy yard. I
have sold three lots out of that square at 10 cents and
what remains is added to the 6 cent lots. I sold
several months ago 277801 square feet in squares 47. 48
49. 67. 68. and 70 at 3 cents amounting to 8300 D[ollars] but pay[ment]
has not been made as stipulated and I have been some days
expecting a return of the appeasement, which I have insisted
on and the Gov't has promised. I wish to add them
to the rest-they were to add in the average but
would not make the purchasers bargin better.
I have annexed on the other half I had a list of
lots belonging to the estate of Gus L. Scotte the two gentlemen who
have been [ ] in for Mr.[ ] amounting to 59458
D-I have supposed that they might be taken with
mine, from choice-and those particluar lots were of
the President square, I was anxious to have offered with
mine because with mine they were able for sale in that quarter
at a price less then 20 or 25 cents These lots
are to be subject to the same [ ] account as mine-
a thing which I shall myself manage
The squares in which I have lots are painted
Red on the plan of the city here within those in
which Scotte and the two gentlemen have lots, are painted
I have thought it might further indicate to 
the division of squares into lots-which I have done as
far as I had them, in the [ ] marked it. I wish
easily to purchase from those [ ] how the other have
been divided, and it [ ] be discovered that the lots are by
no means divided into the more convient building
lots-but this can be rectified by the owner
Suffer me to repeat these so [ ] are my affairs that
I shall be happy to [ ] any part of my lots or the whole
my own compliance granted in the 10 cent lots. I have further
conviction, that no event-not even the [ ] and
impractical scheme of a Bridge to destroy the navigation of the
river, can prevent this being sought after in the evening
Spring when it [ ] be seen (for man is governed only be
his [ ] that commence with ther fix, at prices far
beyond what I am with content to take-and this two[sic]
without any calculation on the Seal of Gov't which is
important only to property which without it, would be
worthless. Cause [ ][ ][ ] to produced effect, or in
this I can not be disappointed.-and if only part of
my lot should be sold, I am most [ ] in saying
I should prefer a sale of those at 6 cents in the first
instance-and of those [ ] in the second-the 10 cent
I am with [ ][ ]
your most obd[eient] And obliged servant
- Accessibility/Section 508 |
- Employee Login |
- FOIA |
- NHHC IG |
- Privacy |
- Webmaster |
- Navy.mil |
- Navy Recruiting |
- Careers |
- USA.gov |
- USA Jobs
- No Fear Act |
- Site Map |
- This is an official U.S. Navy web site