The Navy Department Library
- Manuscript Index
- President John Quincy Adams
- Samuel Adams Letter - 9 December 1784
- Rear Admiral James Alden letter 13 December 1871
- Daniel Ammen 21 December 1885 to E.C. Brown
- Daniel Ammen manuscript 18 March 1886 to E.C. Brown
- Daniel Ammen manuscript 10 March 1886
- Daniel Ammen manuscript 16 May 1886
- Daniel Ammen manuscript Nov 1885
- Admiral George Anderson - Shore to Ship Via Moon" Message."
- William C. Aylwin manuscript 14 March 1822
- Benjamin Babb manuscript 26 November 1813
- Commander George Mifflin Bache - inventory of his collection at the Navy Department Library
- Images of John Backus manuscript journal
- George E. Badger manuscript 31 May 1841
- George E. Badger manuscript - 17 August 1841
- Captain William Bainbridge, USN - 26 February 1794
- Captain William Bainbridge, USN - 30 June 1818
- Captain William Bainbridge manuscript - 29 September 1825.
- Captain William Bainbridge letter dated 26 may 1827
- Barbary Wars manuscript
- Captain Joshua Barney manuscript December 1782
- Captain Joshua Barney manuscript- 26 April 1814
- Captain James Barron - 4 June 1834
- Captain John Barry - 26 May 1797
- Captain Frank W. Bartlett, USN - manuscript - Naval Yarns.
- Captain Alexander B. Bates - Manuscript Collection
- Quartermaster Second Class Joseph A. Beatty, USN. – WWII Diary
- Captain James Biddle, USN
- Binoculars, rental by the US Navy during World War I.
- Commodore George S. Blake, USN - manuscript - 20 February 1846.
- Abraham Blanchard - manuscript - 10 February 1815
- Lieutenant George Preston Blow, USN - Inventory of Collection.
- Charles Bonaparte, Secretary of the Navy - manuscript - 14 July 1905.
- Special Order No. 73 - 18 April 1905 - Bonaparte manuscript
- Abel Bowen wood cut engravings
- R.H. Bradford manuscript dated 4 August 1830
- John Branch, Secretary of the Navy - manuscript - 12 September 1829.
- British Navy (Royal Navy) Letter dated 1763.
- Royal Navy Broadside
- Captain Franklin Buchanan, USN
- Admiral Franklin Buchanan, CSN Battery Buchanan Muster Roll.
- Admiral Arleigh A. Burke, USN: Inventory of His Collection in the Navy Department Library
- Certificate - Honorary Member Amphibious Force U.S. Pacific Fleet - Admiral Arleigh Burke.
- Plank Owner Certificate to Admiral Arleigh Burke From USS Barry
- Typed letter to Commodore Arleigh Burke from Bureau of Naval Personnel About His Commission
- Admiral Arleigh Burke - Deep Dive Diploma
- Certificate of Honorary Membership in Destroyer Force, US Atlantic Fleet to Admiral Arleigh Burke
- Document to Admiral Arleigh Burke from Vice Admiral Hayward.
- Admiral Arleigh Burke Farewell Letter to the US Navy
- Message: From Admiral William (Bull") Frederick Halsey Jr. to Captain Arleigh ("31-Knot") A. Burke
- Birthday Greetings to Admiral Arleigh Burke From the Crew of the USS Apple Orchard.
- Captain Arleigh Burke's Crossing the Line Certificate Aboard USS Huntington
- Honeywell Nuclear Reactor Simulator License No.1 for Admiral Arleigh Burke
- Typed Letter From Admiral Burke to Captain Maynard
- Certificate Designating Admiral Arleigh Burke a Member of the Realm of Project Mercury Recovery Force
- Certificate of Enrollment in the Mine Force, U.S. Atlantic Fleet to Admiral Arleigh Burke
- Certificate Making Mrs. Burke Destroyer Lady
- Typed letter to Captain Burke from the Chief of Naval Personnel
- Certificate Appointing Arleigh Burke an Admiral in the North Carolina Navy
- Certificate Appointing Arleigh Burke an Admiral in the Nebraskan Navy
- Ephemera of Admiral Arleigh Burke
- Admiral Arleigh Burke - Certificate Designating as a Naval Ordnance Engineer
- Certificate from the Esteemed Order of Bearers of the Master Key to the Panama Canal Making Admiral Arleigh Burke an Honorary Lead Pilot
- Typed Letter to Admiral Arleigh Burke - Permanent Appointment to Rear Admiral.
- Honorary Plank Owner Certificate to Admiral Arleigh Burke From USS Providence
- Shellback Certificate for Lt. Arleigh Burke
- George W. Butcher - manuscript- USS Ranger journal
- Rear Admiral Henry Varnum Butler, USN - A Register of His Papers in the Navy Department Library
- Paymaster General Horatio Bridge, USN - Collection in the Navy Department Library.
- Commissioning Certificates of US Navy Officers in the Navy Department Library.
- Gunnery Sergeant Richard W. Cunningham, USMC - an inventory of his collection at the Navy Department Library
- Certificate - 100 Foot Escape LTJG M. Davidian, USNR.
- Secretary of the Navy John H. Chaffee
- Meritorious Unit Commendation - Task Group 115.1
- Meritorious Unit Commendation - USS Saint Paul (CA-73)
- Navy Unit Commendation - Naval Reconnaissance and Technical Support Center.
- Navy Unit Commendation - River Division 553
- Navy Unit Commendation - Units of CTG 115.7 participating in Operation SEA FLOAT
- US Naval Cargo Handling Battalion Two
- Captain Isaac Chauncey, USN - Letter from Isaac Chauncey to Midshipman E. Mulford, dated 9 May 1826
- Captain Isaac Chauncey, USN - An autographed letter signed, dated 9 February 1814, New York. To Commodore Bainbridge. Requesting
- Civil War Naval Correspondence of Elisha Harsen
- Civil War Navy
- Seaman Second Class James C. Clemens, USN - an inventory of his collection at the Navy Department Library
- U.S.S. Cole (DDG-67) Senate Resolution Concerning Terrorist Attack in Aden, Yemen on 12 October 2000.
- Confederate Navy Pay
- U.S. Frigate Constitution
- Gunnery Sergeant Richard W. Cunningham, USMC - an inventory of his collection at the Navy Department Library
- Asa Curtis proof of US Citizenship
- Asa Curtis letter dated 2 March 1825
- Letter to Asa Curtis dated 26 December 1829
- Asa Curtis leave of absence 1830
- Asa Curtis Warrant for payment, 1831
- Asa Curtis - Letter of reference, dated 3 June 1833
- Asa Curtis - Letter of reference, dated 9 March 1836
- Asa Curtis, service record up to 24 October 1836
- Asa Curtis - Gun survey, 1 April 1837
- Order to Asa Curtis, 14 August 1838
- Letter to Asa Curtis dated 28 November 1838.
- Letter to Asa Curtis dated 18 December 1838
- Asa Curtis - Letter, dated 15 February 1839, to Congressman L. Paynter
- Letter to Asa Curtis dated 5 May 1839
- Letter signed and dated 17 January 1840. From M. Paulding to James Biddle, Governor of the US Naval
- Letter signed and dated 23 September 1841. From Robert Kirk to Asa Curtis, regarding a dispute over a payment for repairs
- Asa Curtis - Letter, dated 21 June 1844
- Asa Curtis - Letter of reference dated 12 November 1844
- Asa Curtis - Letter dated 25 November 1845
- Asa Curtis - From Captain F. Forrest aboard USS St Lawrence
- Asa Curtis - Dimensions of the U. S. Frigate United States
- Miniature portrait of Asa Curtis
- Asa Curtis Personal Log
- Asa Curtis Personal Rules Log
- LTJG Slade Cutter, USN, Letter to his mother, dated 11 December 1941, on board the USS Pompano
- Easter Sunday USS Maryland - 1935
- Commander William S. Edwards Collection of Material Relating to US Navy Uniforms.
- President Dwight D. Eisenhower
- Rear Admiral Mordecai T. Endicott Collection
- Admiral David G. Farragut's Letter to Rear Admiral Porter.
- Admiral David G. Farragut's Letter to his wife
- Signalman Donald T. File - WWII Letters
- Rear Admiral Andrew Foote - Letter from Andrew H. Foote to Commander Walke of USS Carondelet
- French C. Forrest - Letter from French C. Forrest to Flag Officer Randolph, Commander at Mobile Alabama.
- Rear Admiral William J. Galbraith, USN (Ret) An Inventory of His Collection in the Navy Department Library
- RADM William J. Galbraith, USN (Ret.) letters.
- British license for the US merchant ship Fame signed by King George III
- Vice Admiral Robert C. Giffen, USN - Inventory of Collection.
- President Ulysses S. Grant
- U.S.S. Guam Certificate of Appreciation
- Extracts from the Diary of Rear Admiral Gibson
- Commodore Robert S. Haggart, USN - an inventory of his collection at the Navy Department Library.
- William Metcalf Hawkins - Civil War Diary (1862-1865)
- Rear Admiral Joseph N. Hemphill, USN - Manuscript Collection
- Lt. Cmdr. Sam Antonia Hill, USN - an inventory of his collection at the Navy Department Library.
- Nathaniel B. Hinckley Family Collection – Nineteenth Century Documents
- Commander Edward Hooker
- Lord (Richard) Howe, Admiral, RN.
- Rear Admiral John C. Howell - A Register of His Papers.
- Captain Isaac Hull, USN - Autograph Signed Letter dated 12 May 1819.
- Captain Isaac Hull - Autographed Letter Signed and dated 4 June 1819.
- Captain Isaac Hull, USN - autographed letter signed and dated 4 June 1824.
- Nile's Register November 23, 1822 - Isaac Hull.
- H.L. Hunley
- Map of Kama Koura
- Opening of Japan Diamond Sutra
- Japanese Surrender on USS Missouri, Attendance Certificate
- Mediterranean Passport (1807)
- Rear Admiral Carlton B. Jones flimsie message 7 December 1941 Air Raid
- Rear Admiral Carlton B. Jones, USN - "Flimsie" Message 8 December 1941
- John Paul Jones Manuscript - Invitation 1790
- John Paul Jones Manuscript - Fragment of Ledger
- John Paul Jones
- John Paul Jones Manuscript-Dropped charges and grievances against one John Paul Jones Whitehaven England
- Chief Gunners Mate John Henry Kauffman, USN
- Captain George H. Kearny, USN - Manuscript Collection
- Captain Edward Stanley Kellogg, USN - Collection at the Navy Department Library
- Seaman First Class William G. Kelly, USN - Collection at the Navy Department Library.
- Captain Edmund Kennedy, USN.
- British Letter of Marque - 1813.
- Letter from Admiral Husband Kimmel to Mr. Lloyd Tatum.
- Letter of Marque commissioning the schooner Lucy as a privateer during the War of 1812.
- President Abraham Lincoln - Appointment of John Woodward Philip as a Midshipman by President Abraham Lincoln.
- Thomas Macdonough Letter - Letter from Thomas Macdonough to Secretary of the Navy Samuel Southard regarding Moses M. Wilson's appointment as a midshipman.
- Thomas Macdonough Letter - Letter from Thomas Macdonough acknowledging receipt of half-pay as a Lieutenant.
- Thomas Macdonough Letter - Letter from Thomas Macdonough to Commodore Edward Preble regarding the escape of John Tuck.
- Stephen R. Mallory - Two letters from Stephen R. Mallory regarding a bounty for recruiting enlisted sailors during the Civil War.
- Matthew Fontaine Maury - Letter from Matthew Fontaine Maury to Cary, Lea, & Company regarding publication of his manuscript on navigation.
- Pharmacist Mate James Monaghan - Minstrel Program.
- James M. Monaghan, Pharmacist Mate, USN - Maunscript Page.
- President James Monroe
- James Monroe Secretary of State
- James Monroe - Document dated 26 November 1813 requesting confirmation of Benjamin Babb's U.S. citizenship.
- Lieutenant John J. Moran, USNR - World War II Armed Guard Logbook
- Lieutenant Commander Edward R. Morris, USN (Ret.).
- Lieutenant Commander Edward R. Morris, USN (Ret.).
- Captain George W. Much - Manuscript List.
- Captain Henry C. Mustin, USN - Manuscript Collection.
- Menus from Ship to Shore
- Naval Building Project Letters, 1814-1854
- List of New York Navy Yard Maps
- Captain Somerville Nicholson, USN - Appointment of Somerville Nicholson to the rank of Captain.
- Admiral Chester W. Nimitz - Collection List.
- President Richard Milhous Nixon - Presidential Unit Citation (Navy) - MOBILE RIVERINE FORCE (TASK FORCE 117).
- President Richard Milhous Nixon - Presidential Unit Citation (Navy) - TASK FORCE 115.
- President Richard Milhous Nixon - Presidential Unit Citation (Navy) - RUNG SAT SPECIAL ZONE RIVER PATROL GROUP.
- President Richard Milhous Nixon - Presidential Unit Citation (Navy) - HELICOPTER ATTACK (LIGHT) SQUADRON THREE.
- President Richard Milhous Nixon - Presidential Unit Citation (Navy) - COMMANDER TASK GROUP 194.9.
- President Richard Milhous Nixon - Presidential Unit Citation (Navy) - Commander Task Group 194.0.
- President Richard Milhous Nixon.
- Lt. Addison Grant Noble, Chaplain, USN - an inventory of his collection at the Navy Department Library.
- Donald W. Panek - WWII Diary - Invasion of Okinawa
- USS Parche - Decommissioning letter.
- Commodore George H. Perkins, USN, Collection
- Captain Oliver Hazard Perry - Engraving of Oliver Hazard Perry and requisition for coal for the frigate Java.
- List of Gifts - Perry Expedition - Opening of Japan.
- Captain Oliver Hazard Perry - Autograph letter signed and dated 3 September 1815, USS Java, Hampton
- Lieutenant Sherwood Picking's Diary 1918
- Rear Admiral David D. Porter - General Orders issued by Rear Admiral David D. Porter while commanding the Mississippi Squadron during the Civil War.
- Ernie Pyle, War Correspondent.
- Admiral Joseph Mason Reeves, USN.
- Frank O. Rose, Chief Special Mechanic, USN.
- Gerard Rozett, Electrician’s Mate Chief, USN.
- Battle of Santiago, Eyewitness Account
- Captain Thomas Saunders - Transcript of a Conference - 3 and 8 December 1741
- Sybrant Van Schaick - U.S. Brig Argus Journal
- Stephen Sicard Letter - Commodore David Dixon Porter
- James Russell Soley Manuscript - Letter - 17 Oct 1890
- Albert Southard – Diary – USS Ticonderoga (screw sloop-of-war) (1878)
- Space Flight Recovery Operations Collection: US Navy
- Admiral Raymond Spruance - Cassedy Letter
- Benjamin Stoddert Letter - 6 June 1799
- Benjamin Stoddert Letter - Stephen Mayhew - 7 June 1800
- Benjamin Stoddert Letter - Colonel Burr - 3 February 1802
- Edward P. Street - World War I Collection
- Arthur I. Strong Collection
- Baynard Taylor letter dated 12 July 1856
- Passed Engineer Robert Salmond Talbot, USN
- Rear Admiral Charles M. Thomas - Great White Fleet Diary
- James C. Tiley Collection
- Thomas Tingey Letter - 2 May 1795 - Ownership of Ganges
- Thomas Tingey Manuscript - 21 November 1801
- Thomas Tingey Letter - John Rose - 10 December 1817
- Thomas Tingey Letter - 20 June 1822
- Thomas Tingey Manuscript - 9 January 1823
- Thomas Tingey Letter - 15 January 1827
- Vice Admiral Mahlon S. Tisdale - Manuscript Collection
- Scale Model Aircraft Certificate
- Frederick Tudor - Manuscript Collection
- Captain Raymond F. Tyler, Naval Aviator (LTA), USN
- US Navy Uniform Regualtion 1797 Broadside
- U.S. Frigate Enlistment Oath of Eight Seamen
- US Navy Recovery Tasks Groups
- Viet Cong (People's Liberation Armed Forces) Commendation Certificate.
- Captain William L. Ware, USN An Inventory of His Collection in the Navy Department Library.
- John W. Warner, Secretary of the Navy
- John W. Warner, (Acting) Secretary of the Navy - Navy Unit Commendation - Fleet Air Support Unit, Binh Thuy, Republic of Vietnam
- John W. Warner, (Acting) Secretary of the Navy - Meritorious Unit Commendation - Termnial Navy Post Office, Subic Bay.
- John W. Warner, (Acting) Secretary of the Navy - Meritorious Unit Commendation - US Naval Investigative Service Office, Vietnam
- John W. Warner, (Acting) Secretary of the Navy - Meritorious Unit Commendation - USS Everett F. Larson (DD-830)
- First Anniversary of WAVES
- Commodore Abraham Whipple Commissioning Certificate, dated 8 December 1775
- Charles N. Wilson
- World War I British and German Naval Messages (1918)
- Lieutenant Francis H. Yonker, USNR - Manuscript Collection.
- Leo C. Young, Radar Pioneer
- Admiral Elmo R. Zumwalt, Jr.
- Meritorious Unit Commendation - Landing Ship Squadron Two
- Meritorious Unit Commendation - Riverine Strike Group (Task Group 194.7)
- Meritorious Unit Commendation - USS Berkeley (DDG-15)
- Meritorious Unit Commendation - USS Chara (AE-31)
- Meritorious Unit Commendation - USS Hanson (DD-832)
- Meritorious Unit Commendation - USS Platte (AO-24)
- Meritorious Unit Commendation - USS Sanctuary (AH-17)
- Image (gif, jpg, tiff)
Special Order No. 73, 18 April 1905
Special Order No. 73.
Washington, April 18, 1905.
1. Claims of commissioned and warrant officers for traveling
expenses incurred under orders which do not entitle them to mile-
age, must be itemized and in duplicate and be accompanied by
original orders authorizing travel and a certified copy thereof
with all endorsements. Such claims must, whenever practicable,
be accompanied by receipted bills, and when this is not practi-
cable, a certificate to that effect must be shown on the claim. In
the case of vouchers ordinarily procurable (such as hotel bills,
Pullman receipts, etc.), a statement of the reason for not obtain-
ing them must be invariably presented.
2. Claims must be confined absolutely to necessary expenses
actually incurred. Carriage hire, when the necessity therefor is
clearly shown and incidental expenses incurred on account of
travel and shown to be reasonable and necessary, will be allowed;
but in no case will charges for laundry or mineral waters, or for
fees on Government vessels be allowed. The necessity for any
delay en route must be clearly shown, and in all cases a certifi-
cate that the amounts claimed have been actually expended must
appear on the claim.
3. Officers whose accounts are kept by pay officers should submit
their claims to such pay officers, who will, after verification, make
reimbursement to the claimants upon public bills, endorsing the
amount paid upon the original orders and filing the claim to-
gether with a certified copy of the original orders as subvouchers.
In the event of a question arising as to the clearness of any item
in a claim, the pay officer should forward the claim to the Bureau
of Supplies and Accounts.
4. Officers whose accounts are not kept by pay officers should
submit their claims to the Paymaster General.
5. The following allowances are to be considered as the maxi-
mum, but each case must stand upon its individual merit and the
necessity for the expenditure must clearly appear. An officer
should be as economical with regard to traveling expenditures
while on Government business as if he was expending his own
money. In allowing accounts for traveling expenses the follow-
ing general conditions will be considered:
(a) The rank of the officer and the duty on which he is en-
(b) The accommodations that are available to travelers.
(c) The circumstances under which traveling.
(d) The length of journey and means of transportation.
(e) The necessities of each particular case.
(f) All things considered, no officer will be reimbursed for
extravagant or unnecessary expenses.
6. When claims are submitted to the Bureau of Supplies and
Accounts it will inspect each account carefully and be circum-
spect with regard to recommending accounts to the Department
7. No claim will be allowed which in any respect exceeds the
following maximum allowances:
TRAVEL WITHIN THE CONTINENTAL LIMITS OF THE UNITED STATES
8. Actual cost of transportation, including Pullman fare,
Hotel bills; commissioned officers not to exceed $5 per day.
Single meals, $1 each; tip 10 cents.
Tips on train, 50 cents per day.
Tips will not be allowed on parlor car except on journey of five
hours or longer.
Tips at hotels, 50 cents per day, but not to exceed $2 per week
at one hotel.
Transfer of baggage, $1.
Excess baggage allowed by the regulations and charged for at
Subsistence will not be allowed in places adjacent to headquar-
ters or domiciles.
TRAVEL OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES
9. Hotel bills, commissioned officers, $5 per day; necessity for
incurring such bills to be clearly shown.
Single meals, commissioned officers, $1.25 each.
Tips at hotels, commissioned officers, 75 cents per day, but not
to exceed $3.50 per week at same hotel.
Six days or less on Atlantic, $1.50 per day; seven to ten days,
not to exceed $10; eleven to fifteen days or longer, $1 per day;
total not to exceed $15.
On Pacific, fifteen days or less, $1 per day; total tips for fifteen
days or longer, not to exceed $15.
To the West Indies, Cuba, Porto Rico, Panama, etc., $1 per
Steamer chair, $1.
Transfer of baggage, $1.25.
Actual cost of transportation when not furnished by the Gov-
Mess bill on board Government vessel if officer is traveling as
CHAS. H. DARLING,
- Accessibility/Section 508 |
- Employee Login |
- FOIA |
- NHHC IG |
- Privacy |
- Webmaster |
- Navy.mil |
- Navy Recruiting |
- Careers |
- USA.gov |
- USA Jobs
- No Fear Act |
- Site Map |
- This is an official U.S. Navy web site