Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

The Navy Department Library

Tags
Related Content
Sources

Adapted from "Rear Admiral Charles Carter Anderson, United States Navy, Retired" [biography, dated 6 June 1950] in Modern Biographical Files collection, Navy Department Library.

Topic
Document Type
  • Biography
Wars & Conflicts
  • nhhc-wars-conflicts:world-war-ii
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials
  • NHHC-Library

Charles Carter Anderson

24 May 1897 -

PDF Version [5.5MB]

Charles Carter Anderson was born in Bellingham, Washington, on 24 May 1897, son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Robert James (Emma A. Carter) Anderson. Prior to entering the United States Naval Academy Annapolis, Maryland, on 31 May 1916, by appointment at large from Nevada, he attended high schools in Los Gatos, California, and Reno, Nevada, and the Drew Coaching School at San Francisco, California. As a midshipman he was a member of the baseball team, 1917-1919. Graduated with the Class of 1920 on 6 June 1919, he was commissioned Ensign the following day and progressed in grade as follows: Lieutenant, junior grade, July, 1922; Lieutenant, June, 1925; Lieutenant Commander, July, 1939; Commander, July, 1942; Captain, to rank from 20 June 1943. His retirement dates from 1 April 1950, when he was advanced to Rear Admiral on the basis of combat citations.

Following graduation from the Naval Academy in June, 1919, he was assigned to the USS Northern Pacific, and served three months in that vessel, and wastransferred to the USS Virginia, and for eighteen months thereafter had duty as watch and division officer in various types of vessels, including the USS Doyen, Nebraska, Farragut, Buffalo, and Stoddert. He served in the Engineering and Gunnery departments of the USS Idaho for one year, until 14 January 1922, when he reported to the Submarine School, New London, Connecticut, for submarine instruction, and was attached to the USS Eagle #11. Graduated and qualified for duty in submarines on 2 July 1923, he had duty in connection with fitting out the USS S-26 and the USS S-27, followed by service aboard the latter from her commissioning, 22 January 1924, until 1 June 1926, with successive duty as Engineering and Gunnery Officer, First Lieutenant, Navigator and Executive Officer. He qualified for command of submarines.

He returned to Annapolis, Maryland, for instruction in Diesel Engineering at the Postgraduate School, and under its supervision at Columbia University, New York, New York, where he received the degree of Master of Science in June, 1928, continuing under instruction that summer at various industrial plants and the Receiving Ship, San Francisco. From November, 1928 until June, 1930, he had successive duty in the Asiatic Fleet, aboard the submarines S-38, S-37, and S-35, assuming command of the latter on 9 March 1929. On 21 June 1930, he became Division Engineer Officer on the staff of Commander, Submarine Division 16 (later redesignated Submarine Division 9), Asiatic Fleet, attached to the USS S-34, flagship, and served until May, 1931.

Reporting on 5 August 1931 to the Commandant, Navy Yard, Portsmouth, New Hampshire, he served as senior assistant to the Machinery Superintendent of that yard until June, 1933, when he again joined USS Idaho. As "R" Division Officer, and later as Navigator during the modernization and fitting out of that battleship at the Navy Yard, Norfolk, Virginia, he served one year. When detached from the Idaho, he bad three months under instruction in lighter-than-aircraft at Lakehurst, New Jersey, and qualified as a balloon pilot in September, 1934.

On 22 September 1934, he joined  USS Colorado, attached to Battleship Division 14, Battle Force, US Fleet, and served consecutively as Turret Officer and Assistant Damage Control Officer of that battleship until detached on 6 June 1936. He was Resident Inspector of Naval Material, and later Assistant to the Naval Inspector of Machinery at the Babcock and Wilcox Company, Barberton, Ohio, from 30 June 1936 until 8 August 1938. He was then ordered to duty in connection with fitting out USS Capella. Following her commissioning, 10 November 1938, he served aboard that auxiliary cargo ship until 2 August 1941, as Chief Engineer, later as Executive Officer.

His next duty was at the Maryland Dry Dock Company, Baltimore, Maryland, in connection with the conversion of the steam ship Catherine. Renamed USS Stratford and commissioned on 25 August 1941, he assumed command of that transport. He was serving in that command at Reykjavic, Iceland, when the United States entered the war following the attack upon Pearl Harbor, and remained in that duty until relieved on 23 March 1942. During that period the Stratford circumnavigated the island of Iceland, having aboard the Honorable MacVeagh, American Minister to Iceland, and Brigadier General Charles H. Bonesteel, III, US Army, and his staff.

Ordered to the Bureau of Ships, Navy Department, Washington, DC in March, 1942, he served until June, 1944. He then assumed command of USS Frederick Funston, attack transport, participating in the Pacific assault and landing operations. He was awarded the Legion of Merit with Combat Distinguishing Device "V", the citation stating in part: "For exceptionally meritorious conduct...during the assault on Saipan, Guam, Leyte, Lingayen and Iwo Jima, from June 1944, to March, 1945. Exercising outstanding leadership and initiative, (he) delivered troops and strategic cargo to the beaches without loss of equipment or personnel despite continuous enemy fire and air activities. By his cool and capable direction under fire, Captain Anderson contributed materially to the success of the assault operations..."

Relieved of command of the Frederick Funston on 2 July 1945 when he arrived on the West Coast of the United States, he had temporary duty in the 12th Naval District before returning to the Navy Department, Bureau of Ships. He had duty for one year in the Division of Inactivation and Preservation of Ships, and was then assigned as Head of the Battleship-Cruisers Ship Section of that Bureau. Detached from the Bureau of Ships in August, 1948, he then attended the Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Washington, DC. Upon completion of the term, he had orders to the 9th Naval District, Great Lakes, Illinois, to duty as Industrial Manager, and served as such until relieved of active duty pending his retirement on 1 April 1950.

In addition to the Legion of Merit with Combat "V", Rear Admiral Anderson has the Victory Medal, Atlantic Fleet Clasp, with one battle star; the American Defense Service Medal with bronze "A"; the European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal; the American Campaign Medal; the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal with four battle stars; the Philippine Liberation Ribbon, and the World War II Victory Medal. He also has the Expert Rifle Medal and the Expert Pistol Medal.

Rear Admiral Anderson is a member of the Society of Naval Engineers, the Naval Academy Athletic Association, the Army-Navy Country Club, Arlington, Virginia, Sons of the American Revolution, Chicago, Illinois, and the William H. Upton Naval and Military Lodge, (Masonic) Bremerton, 'Washington.

Published: Wed Mar 14 08:09:18 EDT 2018