Vice Admiral William S. Sims, Commander, United States Naval Forces Operating in European Waters, to the Office of the Chief of Naval Operations
Opnav. Washington. April 3, 1918.
O-1 NCT 25D
5976. Your 4475. Owing to favorable tides in May it was planned to receive LEVIATHAN at Liverpool on May 7 and to concentrate work on her coaling at expense of other ships so as to turn her around in about 6 days if all circumstances were favorable. It would not be possible, however, to turn vessel around in short time in June or Julydue to unfavorable tides. Present plans will be cancelled and every effort made to receive LEVIATHAN at Brest on next trip and to turn her around with smallest delay practicable. Very important that least possible demand should be made on Brest for coal. Probable date of arrival at rendezvous should be cabled well in advance so that arrangements can be made for destroyer escort. Increased demands on destroyers due to sailing four large ships independently as well as increased number of troop transports makes it necessary to co-ordinate sailings, but priority is given to transportation of troops. Every possible effort should be made to expedite arrival additional destroyers. 5976.
Source Note: Cy, DNA, RG 45, Entry 517B. Identification numbers “1/3/C/J” appear in the upper-right corner.