Skip to main content
Related Content
Document Type
  • Themed Collection
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
  • Image (gif, jpg, tiff)
Location of Archival Materials
  • NHHC

USS Gridley (DD-380)

Please see below for item level images and donated collections containing photographs of USS Gridley (DD-380)

USS Gridley (DD-380) was launched at the Fore River plant of Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Quincy, Mass., 1 December 1936; sponsored by Mrs. Lewis Buddy III, daughter of Captain Gridley; and commissioned 24 June 1937, Comdr. Leroy W. Busbey, Jr., in command.

USS Gridley (DD-380) fitted out at Boston Navy Yard, and conducted shakedown in the Caribbean area until 27 October 1938, visiting Puerto Rico, Cuba, and Venezuela. She then underwent alterations at the Boston Navy Yard until 13 June 1938, when she departed that port, transited the Panama Canal, and entered San Diego harbor 5 July 1938.

USS Gridley (DD-380) cleared Pearl Harbor 28 November 1941 as part of the antisubmarine screen for famed carrier USS Enterprise, flagship of Admiral Halsey, and after a stop at Wake Island, reversed course for Pearl Harbor. The Task Force was approaching that base on the morning of 7 December when the astounding message heralding the beginning of the war was received: "Air raid on Pearl Harbor, this is no drill." USS Gridley (DD-380) entered the harbor next day to help protect against renewed attack, and during the next 5 months was occupied escorting transports and repair vessels to and from Pearl Harbor and South Pacific ports. Departing Dutch Harbor 25 September 1942, USS Gridley (DD-380) joined the USS Saratoga task force in Hawaiian waters and later performed escort missions for both combatant and non-combatant ships in the Fijis and New Hebrides.

USS Gridley (DD-380) returned to Pearl Harbor with escort carriers USS Suwanee and USS Long Island 4 September 1943 and then departed for San Diego, where she remained for repairs 11 September to 26 October 1943. The Gilbert Islands were her next destination, and USS Gridley (DD-380) left Pearl Harbor once more 10 November 1943 for Makin Island. USS Gridley (DD-380) departed Eniwetok Atoll 30 June 1944 bound with the carriers for strikes on Iwo Jima, Guam, Yap, Ulithi, and the Volcano Islands. She supported directly the American landings on Peleliu 15 September 1944, shooting down at least one Japanese attack plane. After screening the carriers in attacks on Okinawa and Formosa, USS Gridley (DD-380) joined the mounting American forces for the invasion of the Philippines.

USS Gridley (DD-380) fought off Japanese suicide planes and returned to Ulithi with damaged carriers Franklin and Belleau Wood 2 November. USS Gridley (DD-380) was soon at sea again, however, clearing Ulithi 5 November with the fast carrier task force for the Leyte operation. She later joined a group of escort carriers and served as a bombardment and patrol ship during the landings in Lingayen Gulf until 10 February 1945. After stopping again at Ulithi, USS Gridley (DD-380) escorted battleship USS Mississippi en route to Pearl Harbor, and then sailed via San Diego and the Panama Canal for New York, where she arrived 30 March 1945. USS Gridley (DD-380) entered the New York Navy Yard next day for much-needed repairs, and after finishing her overhaul departed the United States 22 June.

For a complete history of USS Gridley (DD-380) please see its DANFS page.