Skip to main content
Related Content
Document Type
  • Themed Collection
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
  • Image (gif, jpg, tiff)
Location of Archival Materials
  • NHHC

USS Batfish (SS-310)

Please see below for item level images and donated collections containing photographs of USS Batfish (SS-310)

The first USS Batfish (SS-310) was laid down on 31 December 1942 by the Portsmouth (N.H.) Navy Yard; launched on 5 May 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Nellie W. Fortier; and commissioned on 21 August 1943, Lt. Comdr. Wayne R. Merrill in command. 

Following her commissioning, the submarine underwent an extensive shakedown and training period to instruct the crew, over half of whom were yet to qualify in submarines, in combat procedures for diving, attacking, evading, and damage control. USS Batfish (SS-310) left Portsmouth in mid September, paused briefly at Newport to practice on the torpedo range, and then continued on to New London, Conn. After reporting for duty to the Commander, Submarine Force, Pacific Fleet (ComSubPac), USS Batfish (SS-310) spent five days in availability with Griffin (AS-13) and then carried out intensive training in Pacific Fleet procedures. 

USS Batfish (SS-310) underwent a 16 day refit alongside USS Proteus followed by training in firing the new electric Mark XVIII torpedoes. She departed Midway on 1 August for her fourth war patrol that took her to waters surrounding the Palau Islands. On the 26th, USS Batfish (SS-310) turned Samidare, into unsalvageable junk with two torpedoes, and later witnessed the enemy’s completing the destruction of the destroyer with demolition charges. USS Batfish (SS-310) arrived at Fremantle on 12 September, and Griffin (AS-13) provided a relief crew to begin the refit, while her own crew relaxed in Perth. Escorted by HMAS Parker, USS Batfish (SS-310) departed Fremantle on 8 October and sailed with Guitarro (SS-363) to Exmouth Gulf, West Australia, for refueling. USS Batfish (SS-310) was ordered deactivated again on 5 May 1957. She was decommissioned on 4 August 1958 at the Charleston Naval Shipyard and was berthed with the Charleston Group of the Atlantic Reserve Fleet.  In the summer of 1959, she was assigned as a naval reserve training ship at New Orleans. She was reclassified an auxiliary submarine and was redesignated AGSS-310 in 1962. USS Batfish (AGSS-310) remained at New Orleans until her name was struck from the Navy list on 1 November 1969.

USS Batfish (AGSS-310) had no further opportunities to attack any Japanese ships until 14 November. Following refit, USS Batfish (AGSS-310) got underway on 30 December, bound for the Marianas. En route, she drilled with her compatriots in the attack group, Blackfish (SS-221) and Archerfish (SS-311). They arrived at Apra Harbor, Guam, on 9 January 1945 but returned to sea the next day to take up patrol in the South China Sea to the northeast of Hainan Island. On the 15th, word of Japan's capitulation arrived, and USS Batfish (AGSS-310) received orders to cease offensive operations. She arrived in San Francisco on 9 September and proceeded to the Mare Island Navy Yard to prepare for decommissioning. On 6 April 1946, she was placed out of commission, in reserve, and was berthed at Mare Island.

During the Korean War, USS Batfish (AGSS-310) was reactivated. After an overhaul in January and February, she was recommissioned on 7 March 1952. Following sea trials, final corrective repairs, and loading of supplies, USS Batfish (AGSS-310) sailed for San Diego on 28 March to train and provision before continuing on to her new homeport in Key West.

For a complete history of USS Batfish (SS-310 / AGSS-310) please see its DANFS page.