Skip to main content
Related Content
Document Type
  • Themed Collection
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
  • Image (gif, jpg, tiff)
Location of Archival Materials
  • NHHC

USS Langley (CVL-27)

Please see below for item level images and donated collections containing photographs of USS Langley (CVL-27)

USS Langley (CVL‑27), originally named Fargo (CL‑85), was laid down as Crown Point (CV‑27) by New York Shipbuilding Corp., Camden, N.J., 11 April 1942; renamed Langley 13 November 1942; launched 22 May 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Harry L. Hopkins, wife of the Special Assistant to President Roosevelt; reclassified CVL‑27, 15 July 1943; and commissioned 31 August 1943, Capt. W. M. Dillon in command.

After shakedown in the Caribbean, USS Langley (CVL‑27) departed Philadelphia 6 December 1943 for Pearl Harbor, where she participated in training operations. On 19 January she sailed with Rear Adm. Mare Mitscher's Task Force 58 for the attack on the Marshall Islands. From 29 January to 6 February the carrier's air group conducted raids on Wotje and Taora to support Allied landings at Kwajalein, and repeated the performance 10 through 28 February at Eniwetok.

USS Langley (CVL‑27) next departed Majuro Atoll 7 June for the Marianas campaign. On 11 June, Admiral Mitscher's carrier groups took over from the land‑based Army Air Force bombers. At 1300 the Task Force launched a strike of 208 fighters and eight torpedo‑bombers against enemy bases and airfields on Saipan and Tinian. USS Langley (CVL‑27) departed Eniwetok 29 August and sortied with Task Force 38, under the command of Adm. William F. Halsey for air assaults on Peleliu and airfields in the Philippines as the preliminary steps in the invasion of the Palaus 15 to 20 September.

During January 1945 USS Langley (CVL‑27) participated in the daring raid into the South China Sea supporting Lingayen Gulf operations. Raids were made against Formosa, Indo-China, and the China coast from 30 December 1944 to 25 January 1945. The thrust into this area, which the enemy had considered a private lake, netted a staggering number of Japanese ships, aircraft, supplies, and destroyed installations.

After touching Ulithi and Pearl Harbor, USS Langley (CVL‑27) steamed to San Francisco, arriving 3 June for repairs and modernization. She departed 1 August for the forward area, and reached Pearl Harbor 8 August. While there, word arrived that hostilities had ended. She completed two "Magic Carpet" voyages to the Pacific, and got underway 1 October for Philadelphia. USS Langley (CVL‑27) decommissioned 11 February 1947, and was transferred to France under the Mutual Defense Assistance Program 8 January 1951. In French service she was renamed La Fayette (R-96). The carrier was returned to the United States 20 March 1963 and sold to the Boston Metals Co., Baltimore, Md., for scrapping.

For a complete history of USS Langley (CVL‑27) please see its DANFS page.