Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Tags
Related Content
Topic
Document Type
  • nhhc-document-types:Themed-Collection
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
  • nhhc-file-format:image
Location of Archival Materials
  • nhhc-location-of-archival-materials:nhhc

USS Franklin (1867-1915) 

Please see below for item level images and donated collections containing photographs of USS Franklin (1867-1915) 

USS Franklin (1876-1915), a screw frigate, was laid down at the Portsmouth, N.H., Navy Yard in May 1854, and built in part of materials salvaged from the ship-of-the-line. For a time housed over, she was launched on 17 September 1864; commissioned on 3 June 1867 at Boston; and on 28 June sailed from New York as flagship of Adm. David G. Farragut who assumed command of the European Squadron. Relieved by Ticonderoga, she arrived back in New York on 10 November 1868.

Her second European cruise, beginning on 28 January 1869, was as flagship for Rear Adm.William Radford. USS Franklin (1876-1915) served with the European Squadron until 30 September 1871 when she sailed for the United States. On 13 November 1871 she was decommissioned at Boston.

Recommissioned on 15 December 1873, USS Franklin (1876-1915) sailed on the North Atlantic Station. On 11 April 1874 USS Franklin (1876-1915) stood out to sea to join the European Squadron as flagship until 14 September 1876.

USS Franklin (1876-1915) was placed out of commission at Norfolk on 2 March 1877 and recommissioned the same day as Receiving Ship for the Norfolk, Virginia, Station, continuing in this service until 14 October 1915 which marked her final decommissioning. USS Franklin (1876-1915) was stricken from the Navy Register on 26 October 1915 and sold.

For a complete history of USS Franklin (1876-1915) please see its DANFS page.