Skip to main content
Related Content
Document Type
  • Themed Collection
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
  • Image (gif, jpg, tiff)
Location of Archival Materials
  • NHHC

USS Kansas City (AOR-3) 

Please see below for item level images and donated collections containing photographs of USS Kansas City (AOR-3) 

USS Kansas City (AOR-3) was laid down on 18 April 1968 at Quincy, Mass., by the Quincy Division of the General Dynamics Corp.; launched on 28 June 1969; sponsored by Mrs. Edith M. Darby, wife of former Senator Harry Darby (R-Kansas); and commissioned at the Boston Naval Shipyard, Charlestown, Mass., on 6 June 1970, Capt. Karl J. Christoph Jr. in command.

After her commissioning, USS Kansas City (AOR-3) fitted out at the Boston Naval Shipyard. She got underway on 5 August 1970 to begin the transit to her new homeport of Long Beach, Calif. Making her first stop at Norfolk, Va., on the 8th, the replenishment oiler spent a week there for testing and then continued on to Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, where she conducted a one-week mini-shakedown training.

With the ship finally ready for regular duty, USS Kansas City (AOR-3) made preparations for her first overseas deployment. From 8–12 March 1971, the ship was underway for type training. USS Kansas City (AOR-3) headed for southern Vietnam, entering the combat zone for the first time on 14 June 1971. She made her way up the coast as she serviced the ships of the fleet and arrived on Yankee Station, an offshore operating position east of Đồng Hới, on 21 June to replenish ships there before returning to the south. After another day of operations at Yankee Station on the 27th, the USS Kansas City (AOR-3) headed back to Subic Bay to reload, arriving on the 29th. 

On 26 September 1974, USS Kansas City (AOR-3) departed to begin operations in the northern Japan operating area, heading south. Beginning on the 30th, she provided replenishment services for ships participating in the joint antisubmarine warfare exercise (ASWEX) held by the U.S. Navy and the Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF). Getting underway again on 6 January 1975, USS Kansas City (AOR-3) set course for Yokosuka. That same day, she completed underway replenishments with two ships of the Republic of Korea, Seoul (DD.92) and Ung-Go (ATD.83). Arriving at Yokosuka on the 9th, she went into dry dock that day and emerged on the 13th, when she departed for Hong Kong. 

On 4 April 1977, the oiler sailed for South Korea in company with an amphibious task force led by amphibious assault ship USS Okinawa (LPH-3). After spending three nights at Pusan (8–11 April), USS Kansas City (AOR-3) made the return trip to Sasebo, anchoring there briefly on the 12th and then continuing on for Subic Bay later that day. On 27 April 1979, USS Kansas City (AOR-3) finally turned for home. The ship stopped at Pearl Harbor (9–10 May), where she received a visit from Adm. Donald C. Davis, Commander-in-Chief, U.S. Pacific Fleet. Kansas City commenced her busy 1983 agenda on 17 January when she put to sea and sailed for the southern California operating area to take part in ReadiEx 83-2 with the Coral Sea Battle Group.

Following her return to Alameda, the crew of USS Kansas City (AOR-3) began to prepare their ship for deactivation and decommissioning. On short notice, the oiler held a final change of command ceremony on 25 July 1994, with Cmdr. Phillip O. Boyer assuming command. USS Kansas City (AOR-3) was decommissioned on 7 October 1994 at Naval Air Station Alameda.

For a complete history of USS Kansas City (AOR-3) please see its DANFS page.