Skip to main content
Related Content
Document Type
  • Themed Collection
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
  • Image (gif, jpg, tiff)
Location of Archival Materials
  • NHHC

USS John A. Bole (DD-755)

 Please see below for item level images and donated collections containing photographs of USS John A. Bole (DD-755)

USS John A. Bole (DD-755), a name originally assigned to DD-783, was laid down 20 May 1944 by Bethlehem Steel Co., Staten Island, N.Y.; launched 1 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. John A. Bole, Jr., widow of Lt. Comdr. Bole; and commissioned 3 March 1945, Comdr. E. B. Billingsley in command.

Following shakedown training out of Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, USS John A. Bole (DD-755) escorted damaged carrier USS Franklin (CV-13) north to New York, arriving 24 April 1945. After moving to Boston to join USS Saint Paul (CA-73), she sailed 15 May for the Pacific during the final push in the war against Japan.

USS John A. Bole (DD-755) arrived Okinawa 29 June for picket and patrol duty; and, although ground fighting had virtually ceased, weeks of intermittent air raids and dangerous picket duty were still in store for the fleet. The ship remained off Okinawa until the Japanese acceptance of surrender terms 15 August, then departed for the East China and Yellow Seas to support the occupation and to take part in minesweeping operations. USS John A. Bole (DD-755) joined a cruiser-destroyer force 8 September off Jinsen, Korea, to cover the landings of troops at that important port. She remained until 25 September, and arrived 3 days later at Saishu To, south of the Korean Peninsula, to accept the surrender of the island and demilitarize it.

Following a long repair period to prepare her for peacetime service, USS John A. Bole (DD-755) arrived San Diego 10 April 1947 to begin a regular schedule of training maneuvers and cruises for Naval Reservists. She continued to operate on the West Coast, with occasional visits to Hawaii, through 1949. With the outbreak of the Korean War in June 1950, USS John A. Bole (DD-755) began intensive preparations for combat service. The veteran ship returned to the Far East again in 1954, taking part in the continuing Formosa Patrol and in amphibious training exercises. She sailed from San Diego 20 April and returned 17 October, adding carrier operations in the South China Sea and antisubmarine warfare exercises off Okinawa to her busy schedule.

USS John A. Bole (DD-755) entered San Francisco Naval Shipyard in late 1961 to undergo a major Fleet Rehabilitation and Modernization (FRAM) overhaul, designed to equip her with the latest equipment and lengthen her active service life several years. Emerging in July 1962, USS John A. Bole (DD-755) took part in training operations for the remainder of the year, interrupted by several weeks of alert at sea during the Cuban Missile Crisis in October.

But for brief runs to Hong Kong and Subic, USS John A. Bole (DD-755) remained in the war zone until 27 July when she headed for Taiwan. She visited Malasia before heading home via Subic Bay, Guam, and Pearl Harbor, arriving San Diego 24 September. She operated out of home port for the remainder of the year and in 1967 prepared for future action.

For a complete history of USS John A. Bole (DD-755) please see its DANFS page.