Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Tags
Related Content
Topic
Document Type
  • nhhc-document-types:Themed-Collection
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
  • nhhc-file-format:image
Location of Archival Materials
  • nhhc-location-of-archival-materials:nhhc

USS Intrepid (1907-1921)

Please see below for item level images and donated collections containing photographs of USS Intrepid (1907-1921)

USS Intrepid (1907-1921) was launched by Mare Island Navy Yard 8 October 1904; sponsored by Miss Helen de Young and commissioned 16 August 1907, Comdr. Edward E. Capehart in command.

The steel bark was assigned to the Yerba Buena Training Station, San Francisco for duty until 28 February 1912 when USS Intrepid (1907-1921) became the receiving ship at the same station. The latter assignment lasted until 25 January 1914 when USS Intrepid (1907-1921) became receiving ship at Mare Island Navy Yard, where she decommissioned 15 October.

USS Intrepid (1907-1921) commissioned in ordinary at Mare Island Navy Yard 11 November 1915 for use as a barracks for the men of submarines F-l through F-4 of the Pacific Fleet. In 1920 she again became receiving ship at Mare Island Navy Yard. USS Intrepid (1907-1921) decommissioned 30 August 1921 and was sold 20 December.

For a complete history of USS Intrepid (1907-1921) please see its DANFS page.