Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Tags
Related Content
Topic
Document Type
  • Themed Collection
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
  • Image (gif, jpg, tiff)
Location of Archival Materials
  • NHHC

USS Kyne (DE-744) 

Please see below for item level images and donated collections containing photographs of USS Kyne (DE-744) 

USS Kyne (DE-744) was laid down on 16 April 1943, by the Western Pipe & Steel Co., Los Angeles, Calif.; launched 15 August 1943, sponsored by Mrs. Alma Marion Kyne, widow of Ens. Kyne; and commissioned 4 April 1944, Comdr. A. Jackson, Jr., in command.

After shakedown along the West Coast, USS Kyne (DE-744) cleared Los Angeles 6 June 1944, to join the Pacific Fleet. Following training and escort duty at Pearl Harbor, USS Kyne (DE-744) was underway 12 August to screen a task force which brought material and ships for the impending Palau Islands invasion. She departed Manus 15 September as escort to transports filled with garrison troops and supplies, landing at Peleliu 20 September. USS Kyne (DE-744) sailed the same day as escort to a convoy carrying wounded marines from the scene of battle.

Operating together with support units, she departed Ulithi 8 February to provide a screen for refueling operations during the Iwo Jima invasion. When that island was secure, giving the United States an air strip vitally needed as base for future B-29 raids on Japan, USS Kyne (DE-744) returned Ulithi 5 March. Sailing again 25 March as a screen to oilers, she made her way to Okinawa, the last step on the road to Japan. USS Kyne (DE-744) continued screen and patrol operations for the support unit throughout most of the Okinawa campaign, returning Ulithi 21 May.

Upon cessation of hostilities 14 August and, after 43 days at sea, USS Kyne (DE-744) arrived Tokyo Bay 28 August as part of the occupation force. Departing Yokosuka 2 October, the destroyer escort arrived Philadelphia 23 November via Pearl Harbor and Long Beach. USS Kyne (DE-744) decommissioned at Green Cove Springs, Fla., 14 June 1946.

During 1947 USS Kyne (DE-744) was designated in service, in reserve, and operated as a reserve training ship out of Fort Schuy-ler, N.Y. She recommissioned 21 November 1950, Lt. Comdr. Carl L. Scherrer in command; and was assigned to the 3d Naval District as a reserve training ship. For the next nine years, Kyne provided the training necessary to maintain a well-drilled reserve, ready to defend the nation during any crisis. USS Kyne (DE-744) decommissioned 17 June 1960. 

For a complete history of USS Kyne (DE-744) please see its DANFS page.