Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Tags
Related Content
Topic
Document Type
  • nhhc-document-types:Themed-Collection
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
  • nhhc-file-format:image
Location of Archival Materials
  • nhhc-location-of-archival-materials:nhhc

USS L-10 (SS-50)

Please see below for item level images and donated collections containing photographs of USS L-10 (SS-50)

USS L-10 (SS-50) was laid down on 17 February 1915 at Quincy, Mass., by Fore River Shipbuilding Co. as a sub-contractor for Electric Boat Co.; launched on 16 March 1916; sponsored by Miss Catherine Rush, daughter of Capt. William R. Rush, commander of the Boston (Mass.) Navy Yard; and commissioned at the Boston Navy Yard on 2 August 1916, Lt. (j.g.) James C. Van de Carr in command.

USS L-10 (SS-50), with the division’s organization on 5 August 1916, was assigned to Division Six, Submarine Force, Atlantic Fleet. The submarine got underway on 12 August, clearing Boston for Provincetown, Mass., and returning that same day. USS L-10 (SS-50) cleared Boston on 23 December bound for Key West, Fla. En route, she visited Charleston, S.C. (28–30 December), and arrived at Jacksonville, Fla. on 31 December. USS L-10 (SS-50) with her division- mates USS L-9 (Submarine No. 49) and USS L-11 (Submarine No. 51), received orders on 30 April directing them to proceed to the Boston Navy Yard for scheduled maintenance. They were to sail in convoy with USSTonopah (Monitor No. 8), which was to serve as tender. Departing on 6 May, the submarines transited the Cape Cod Canal and reached the Boston Navy Yard on 8 May.

Having undocked, USS L-10 (SS-50) was standing in to Boston Harbor off Spectacle Island, when she was rammed on 11 August by the Nantasket Company’s vessel Mayflower. The collision saw the submarine damaged and she was ordered to Fore River for repairs. After her repairs, USS L-10 (SS-50) left dry dock on 16 October. USS L-10 (SS-50) conducted patrols into the New Year in the waters of the Portuguese archipelago to deny their use by German U-boats and surface raiders. Clearing the Azores on 19 January 1918, she proceeded to Ireland, during which passage, at about 12:30 p.m. on 25 January, GM1c Royal A. Leese was lost overboard. USS L-10 (SS-50) reached Berehaven Island, [Castletownbere], Bantry Bay, Ireland, the next day.

After additional patrols, USS L-10 (SS-50) arrived for refit at Queenstown on 15 April 1918. The submarine cleared Queenstown on 8 May, with her yard work completed, and returned to Berehaven, after which she resumed her rotation of patrols and time in port. The submarine continued her scheduled routine into November, shifting to Portland, England, for training. She was still there when the Armistice ended hostilities on 11 November.

USS L-10 (SS-50) underwent post-deployment overhaul and refit at Philadelphia after which, on 26 May 1919, she proceeded to the Submarine Base, Hampton Roads. Operating from either that place or the Norfolk Navy Yard, Portsmouth, Va., she conducted training and developed submarine tactics in the waters of the lower Chesapeake Bay and the Virginia capes. The submarine cleared Hampton Roads on 26 August and proceeded up the Chesapeake and into the Potomac River to visit the Washington Navy Yard (27–29 August). She then returned to Hampton Roads (31 August–16 October). Clearing the Submarine Base, she made a visit to Hamilton, Bermuda (21–25 October), before returning to Hampton Roads.

USS L-10 (SS-50) was decommissioned at the Philadelphia Navy Yard on 5 May 1922. Sold as a hulk on 31 July 1922 to Joseph G. Hitner Co. of Philadelphia, she was removed from the Philadelphia Navy Yard on 19 September 1922, and delivered to her purchaser for scrapping.

For a complete history of USS L-10 (SS-50) please see its DANFS page.