Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Tags
Related Content
Topic
Document Type
  • Themed Collection
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
  • Image (gif, jpg, tiff)
Location of Archival Materials
  • NHHC

USS Francis Marion (APA-249/LPA-249)

Please see below for item level images and donated collections containing photographs of USS Francis Marion (APA-249/LPA-249)

USS Francis Marion (APA-249) was launched as Prarie Mariner on 13 February 1954 by New York Shipbuilding Corp., Camden, N.J.; sponsored by Mrs. C. A. Wolverton and delivered on 25 May to the Maritime Administration who operated her until she was placed in the National Defense Reserve Fleet on 6 January 1955. USS Francis Marion (APA-249) was transferred to the Navy on 16 March 1959, named, classified APA-249, and converted by Bethlehem Steel Co., Baltimore, Md. Francis Marion was commissioned on 6 July 1961, Captain David S. Bill, Jr., in command. USS Francis Marion (APA-249) is currently active in the Atlantic Fleet.

For a complete history of USS Francis Marion (APA-249) please see its DANFS page.