Skip to main content
Related Content
Document Type
  • Themed Collection
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
  • Image (gif, jpg, tiff)
Location of Archival Materials
  • NHHC

USS General Pike (1813-1821)

Please see below for item level images and donated collections containing photographs of USS General Pike (1813-1821)

USS General Pike (1813-1821) was laid down by Henry Eckford, a New York City shipbuilder who supervised the construction of warships on Lake Ontario, at Sackett's Harbor 9 April 1813. Set on fire 29 May during a British attack on Sackett's Harbor, the unfinished ship was saved and launched 12 June 1813, Master Commandant Arthur Sinclair in command. She was made ready to sail by July and on 21 July she joined Commodore Isaac Chauncey's squadron. She sailed to the head of Lake Ontario, arriving off Niagara 27 July. While cruising the lake, she engaged British ships under Commodore Yeo in an indecisive battle on 10 and 11 August.

USS General Pike (1813-1821) returned to Sackett's Harbor 13 August and provisioned before returning to the head of the lake to search out British ships. After almost a month of maneuvering and stalking to gain an advantage over the British, USS General Pike (1813-1821) joined Chauncey's ships in a brief encounter against the British off the mouth of the Genesee River 11 September. On 28 September the two forces again met at York Bay, Ontario, and engaged in a fierce, but still indecisive, battle. During heated exchanges of gunfire between American and British ships USS General Pike (1813-1821) fought in heavy action against British ship Royal George and rendered gallant service throughout the encounter.

After returning to Sackett's Harbor early in October, USS General Pike (1813-1821) supported troop movements against the British at the lower end of Lake Ontario until mid-November when she returned to the Niagara Peninsula to cover the transfer of American troops from Fort Niagara to Sackett's Harbor. She remained at Sackett's Harbor during the winter months.

Throughout the remainder of the War of 1812, USS General Pike (1813-1821) continued to operate with Chauncey's squadron. After the British withdrew blockading ships off Sackett's Harbor early in June 1814, she joined other American ships in a blockade of British ships at Kingston, Ontario. The American forces kept Yeo's ships within Kingston harbor, and General Pike cruised Lake Ontario freely from the head of the St. Lawrence to Sackett's Harbor. Following the end of the war, USS General Pike (1813-1821) was laid up at Sacket's Harbor and was sold in 1825.

For a complete history of USS General Pike (1813-1821) please see its DANFS page.