Skip to main content
Related Content
Document Type
  • Themed Collection
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
  • Image (gif, jpg, tiff)
Location of Archival Materials
  • NHHC

USS AA-1,  (SS-52)

Please see below for item level images and donated collections with photographs of USS AA-1,  (SS-52).  

Schley (Submarine No. 52) was laid down on 21 June 1916 at Quincy, Mass., by the Fore River Shipbuilding Co. under a contract with the Electric Boat Co. of New York; renamed USS AA-1 on 23 August 1917 in accordance with the provisions of General Order No. 318 and to free the name Schley for assignment to Destroyer No. 103; launched on 25 July 1918; sponsored by Mrs. Lilian Hovey-King, wife of Lt. Cmdr. Alvin Hovey-King, a naval constructor assigned to the Fore River Shipbuilding Co.; and commissioned at Boston on 30 January 1920, Lt. Cmdr. James Parker, Jr., in command.

On 17 July 1920, USS AA-1 received the identification number SF-1 when the Navy adopted the alphanumeric system of hull designations. She was renamed T-1 (q.v.).

For the full history of the USS AA-2 (SS-52), please see its DANFS page.