Secretary of the Navy Josephus Daniels to Secretary of War Newton D. Baker
( C O P Y )
From: The Secretary of the Navy.
To: The Secretary of War.
SUBJECT: Organization of a Naval force to operate Naval guns on
Reference: (a) CNO letter File Op-34-F s.46-195 dated May
1. Copy of reference is enclosed for the information of the Secretary of War.
2. This force will consist of about five hundred officers and men of the Navy, under the command of Captain C. P. Plunkett, U. S. N.
3. Five 14-inch railroad mounts and fifteen 14-inch, 50 caliber guns, together with twelve hundred rounds of ammunition, is in process of shipment to St. Nazaire, France, in accordance with the request of the War Department.
4. The Commanding Officer of this force has been directed to report to the Commanding General of the American Expeditionary Force as soon as the above material is erected and ready for operation.
5. Additional personnel, material, and ammunition will be supplied by this Department from time to time as may be necessary.
Source Note: CyS, DNA, RG 45, Entry 517B.