RULES OF THE
Navy Department Library
1. Officers of the Navy, and others employed under the authority of the Navy Department, have the privilege of drawing books from the library.
2. An employé who wishes to use the library must first obtain permission from the officer in charge.
3. An entry, giving name and address of borrower, shall be made of all books or periodicals taken from the Library.
4. A book must not be kept out for a longer period than one month; but the loan may be renewed for two weeks, unless called for by someone else.
5. Books taken from the Library must not be loaned to others.
6. In loaning books, regard will be had to the requirements of offices in the Department, and priority will always be given to these offices.
7. Works of reference, books containing valuable plates or engravings, or books that, owing to their antiquity or scarceness, cannot be replaced, must not be taken from the Library. All such will be labeled “Not for issue.”
8. A book lost while in the possession of a borrower must be replaced.
9. Previous to detachment or going on leave of absence, those having books belonging to the Library must return them.
10. An employé who resigns or is discharged will not receive final payment until the Librarian certifies to the Disbursing Clerk that there is no charge against such person on the records of the Library.
11. No unbound periodicals shall be issued from the Library except for office use.
The above rules apply to all persons connected with the Library as well as others.
The Librarian is required to enforce these rules.
Assistant Secretary of the Navy.