Rear Admiral George Dewey, Commander, Asiatic Squadron, to Secretary of the Navy John D. Long
United States Naval Force on Asiatic Station.
MANILA, P.I., AUGUST 16, 1898.
I have the honor to report that:
1. On August 7, 1898, Major General Merritt and I sent to the Spanish Governor General and Captain General at Manila a joint notice that operations might begin against the city at any time after forty-eight hours. A copy is enclosed marked “A”.
2. On the same date a reply was received, a copy of translation of which is enclosed marked “B”, the original being in possession of General Merritt.
3. On August 9th, General Merritt and I sent a joint formal demand for the surrender of the city and Spanish forces. A copy is enclosed marked “C”.
4. On the same date a reply was received, declining to surrender but requesting the time necessary to communicate with Madrid. A copy of translation is enclosed marked “D”, the original being in the possession of General Merritt.
5. On August 10th, we replied declining to grant the time requested. A copy is enclosed, marked “E”.
6. All of these communications were sent and received from Manila through the kindness of Captain Chichester, of H.B.M.S. IMMORTALITE and Mr. H.A.Ramsden, British and United States Acting Consul.
7. On August 13th, the U.S.land and naval forces made a joint attack on Manila resulting in the surrender of that city on the same date. This is made the subject of a separate report.
I have the honor to be,
Rear Admiral, U.S.Navy,
Commanding U.S.Naval Force on Asiatic Station.
Source Note: TCy, DNA, AFNRC, M625, roll 364. Addressed below close: “The Secretary of the Navy,/Washington, D.C.” Document reference: “No.437-D.” Document on “United States Naval Force on Asiatic Station,” stationary. Stamp: Document has rectangular “BUREAU OF NAVIGATION,” stamp dating it to 28 September 1898, with the numbers “141623.” Docketed: “Flagship OLYMPIA,/Manila P.I./AUG 13,1898/Dewey, George/Rear Admiral, U. S. Navy/Forwarding correspondence/reg. surrender of/Manila./5 Enclosures.”