||Commander Cruisers, BATTLE FORCE.
||Supplementary Report of Damage Attendant to Bomb Near-hit, U.S.S. Honolulu.
- Due to damage suffered from bomb near-hit Sunday, December 7, 1941, the power and fire control circuits in this vessel are in the following defective condition necessitating immediate repair:
- Power for elevating, Train, Hoists, blowers, and lighting circuits grounded, both port and starboard cables in Turret II.
- Power and lighting cables, both port and starboard, Turret I, give low ground tests and are subject to failure. At present round test has steadied at 500, 000 ohms.
- All battery powered telephone circuits to Turret I and II subject to failure due to absorption of oil and water from flooding of port wiring passage. However, ground tests to date are satisfactory.
- FC and IC circuits to Turret I, port side, are subject to deterioration due to flooding, but at present ground tests are satisfactory. Capillary section of water in wicking of cables may results in grounding of all cables. E call circuit, intra-turret alarm circuit, and IR (ready light) circuit are grounded in Turret I.
- IR (Ready light) circuit is grounded in Turret III. This is explained by the fact that Turrets I, II and III have a common on the IR circuit. Turret III wiring is normal in all other respects.
- Turrets IV and V are satisfactory.
- Ground tests are being conducted twice daily.
- This vessel has been informed by the Navy Yard, P.H., that the cable required to replace damaged wiring is available in the yard.
- Range II (stereo Mk. 45) mounted in after main battery director was thrown out of adjustment by shock. Actual damage suffered constituted a jarring loose of right ocular prism due to cement seal giving away. This damage has since been repaired by U.S.S. Vestal and condition is now apparently normal.
Navy Yard Pearl
Source: Enclosure (E) to CINCPAC action report Serial 0479 of 15 February 1942, World War II action reports, Modern Military Branch, National Archives and Records Administration, 8601 Adelphi Road, College Park, MD 20740.