Our conservators analyze and research artifacts in the collection to identify their unique composition and to tailor conservation treatments to each object, including the selection of appropriate methods and requisite chemicals.
During this process we sometimes find materials or corrosion products that resist identification or straightforward conservation treatments.
Areas of research include:
- Bell metals (copper and ferrous alloys)
- Textile dyes
- Analytical Capabilities:
- Polarized Light Microscopy (PLM)
- X-ray Fluorescence Spectroscopy (XRF)
- Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM)
- Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy (FTIR)
- Raman Spectroscopy
- Multiband Imaging