Vice Admiral William S. Sims, Commander, United States Naval Forces Operating in European Waters, Campaign Order Number One
U.S. Naval Forces operating in European Waters
CAMPAIGN ORDER NO.1. U. S. S. MELVILLE, Flagship.
FORCES:- August 1st, 1917.
(a) DESTROYER FLOTILLAS BASED ON QUEENSTOWN. Vice Admiral Sims.
(b) PATROL SQUADRONS OPERATING ON FRENCH COAST. Captain Fletcher.
(1) BASED ON BREST. Captain Fletcher.
(2) BASED ON BORDEAUX. Commander to be designated.
(c) PATROL SQUADRON BASED ON GIBRALTAR. Rear Admiral Wilson.
1. Enemy submarines operating against Allied lines of communication.
2. These forces operate under direct military control of senior allied commanders present, in accordance with general policies of Force Commander as set forth in “General Instructions”.
3. (x) The senior U.S. Naval Officer afloat in each area shall be in immediate command of U.S. naval forces in that area (including personnel of bases) and shall be responsible for the efficiency of his command and for their operation, subject to the requirements of paragraph 2.
(y)The Force Commander shall be kept informed of military operations performed or contemplated and state of military readiness for any possible duty of which the forces in question are capable.
4. Keep Force Commander informed of supplies needed from U.S. sufficiently in advance for necessary arrangements being made.
In absence of U.S. supplies, make direct request on Allied base facilities and obtain and submit to the Force Commander, through his staff representatives, periodic summary of financial indebtedness thereby involved.
5. Address Force Commander – 30, Grosvenor Gardens, London, S.W.
Official cable and telegraphic address – “Simadus London”.
Staff Representative France, Captain R.H.Jackson, Military Marine, Paris.
Telegraphic Address, “Jackson Marine Paris”.
Use codes and cyphers as directed from time to time.
In absence of contrary instructions, communicate via Allied official codes to insure secrecy. Utilize Allied official mail routes.
(signed) Wm. S. SIMS.
Vice Admiral, Commanding.
Secretary Navy, Operations (1)
Patrol Squadron Commander, Gibraltar (20)
Staff Office, Paris (50) for Ministry Marine.
Patrol Squadron Commanders.
Naval Attache, Paris.
Naval Attache, London (1) Rome (1) Madrid (1)
British Admiralty (1)