Vice Admiral William S. Sims, Commander, United States Naval Forces Operating in European Waters, to Oswyn A. R. Murrary, Secretary, British Admiralty
August 30, 1917.
FROM : Vice Admiral W. S. Sims,
TO : Secretary, British Admiralty, Whitehall.
1. The Admiralty is informed that the Naval Communication and Telegraph Office has been opened at the Headquarters of the Commander, U. S. Naval Forces Operating in European Waters, 30 Grosvenor Gardens.
2. In as much as all cablegrams and telegrams originating with the Commander, U. S. Naval Forces and destined to Paris and Queenstown are transmitted by the Admiralty Telegraph Office on their private wires, the desirability presents itself of installing a direct telegraph wire between the Admiralty Office and the Telegraph Office of U. S. Naval Headquarters. It is believed that such an arrangement will cause cablegrams and telegrams to be handled more expeditiously, and will not necessitate the use of the Admiralty messengers as heretofore. The telegraph operators at the U. S. Naval Headquarters will be U. S. Naval telegraphers.
3. The Admiralty is informed that after conferences with the General Post Office Officials a direct telegraph wire has been installed from the Headquarters of the Commander U. S. Naval Forces to the main cable office of the Western Union Cable Company, and it is expected that a like wire will be installed to the Commercial Cable Company.
4. Information is requested as to whether or not the Admiralty will consider favorably the installation of a private telegraph wire between the Admiralty Telegraph Office and the Headquarters of the U. S. Naval Force Commander.
Source Note: Cy, DNA, RG45, Entry 517B.