The Navy retained the name carried by this vessel at the time of her acquisition.
(S. P. 61: displacement 19; length 73'3"; beam 11'8"; draft 3'10" (aft); speed 27 knots; complement 12; armament 1 3-pounder, 2 machine guns)
Zenith, a motor boat constructed in 1917 at Camden, N. J., by the Mathis Yacht Building Co., was acquired by the Navy on 21 April 1917 at Philadelphia from Charles Longstreet of that city and commissioned there on 23 April 1917.
Assigned to section patrol duty, Zenith conducted surveillance patrols to protect the harbors and estuaries of the Fourth Naval District coastline from enemy incursion, primarily against submarine and mining operations. Decommissioned on 21 November 1918, just 10 days after the armistice, she was stricken from the Navy list and Zenith was returned to her owner.