(CVE-89: dp. 9,570; 1. 512'3"; b. 65'2"; ew. 108'1"; dr. 22'6"; s. 19.3 k.; cpl. 860; a. 1 5", 16 40 mm., 28 ac.; cl. Casablanca)
A small bay on the southwest coast of Yakobi Island in the Alexander Archipelago off the coast of Alaska.
Takanis Bay (CVE-89) was laid down under Maritime Commission contract (MC hull 1126) on 16 December 1943 at Vancouver, Wash., by the Kaiser Shipbuilding Co.; launched on 10 March 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Alden R. Sanborn; and commissioned on 15 April 1944, Capt. A. R. Brady in command.
After shakedown, Takanis Bay operated out of San Diego with Fleet Air, West Coast, through the end of hostilities with Japan in mid-August 1945. She tested pilots for carrier operations; and, between 24 May 1944 and 28 August 1945, she qualified 2,509 pilots.
On the latter day, she sailed for Hawaii and was assigned to Carrier Transport Squadron, Pacific. In two trips, she returned 1,300 servicemen to San Diego. Late in September, the carrier was assigned to the "Magic Carpet" fleet which had been established for the sole purpose of bringing veterans home. At San Diego, bunks for 800 passengers were installed in the carrier, and she made two more round-trip voyages to Hawaii and one to the Tokyo Bay area to repatriate servicemen.
Takanis Bay arrived at San Pedro from her last voyage on 2 January 1946. She moved to Puget Sound in April, where inactivation work was begun, and she was decommissioned on 1 May 1946. Takanis Bay was re-classified CVU-89 on 12 June 1955 and was struck from the Navy list on 1 August 1959. She was sold on 29 June 1960 to Hyman-Michaels Co., Chicago, III., for scrap