Skip to main content
Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Tags
Related Content
Topic
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials

Sultana (S. P. 134)

(SP-134: t. 390; l. 186'; b. 27'; dr. 13'; s. 12 k.; cpl. 62; a. 4 3", 2 nig.)

Sultana (S. P. 134) was built in 1889 by Henderson and Robbins at Erie Basin, N. Y. On 4 May 1917, Mrs. E. H. Harriman of New York City loaned the steam yacht to the United States Navy under a free lease; and she was commissioned on 27 May 1917, Lt. E. G. Allen in command.

Sultana was fitted out at the New York Navy Yard, and she joined a special patrol force at Tompkinsville, N.Y., on 6 June. The force sailed for France on 9 June. On 4 July, she rescued 45 survivors of the American merchantman, Orleans, which has been torpedoed the day before; and she landed them at Brest, France, that evening. From 4 July 1917 to 5 December 1918, Sultana was attached to the United States Patrol Squadron based at Brest. During that period, the ship performed escort and patrol duty. After the fighting ended, she headed for home on 5 December; proceeded via the Azores and Bermuda; and arrived at New York on 28 December 1918.

Sultana was returned to Mrs. Harriman on 17 February 1919 and struck from the Navy list.

Published: Tue Feb 16 19:46:16 EST 2016