South Dakota (Battleship No. 49)
South Dakota (Battleship No. 49) was laid down on 15 March 1920 by the New York Navy Yard, Brooklyn. N.Y. An act of Congress authorized the ship on 29 August 1916. She was reclassified to BB-49 on 17 July 1920. The service originally intended South Dakota to serve as the name ship of a new class of six 43,200-ton battleships, but suspended her construction in accordance with the provisions of the Washington Treaty limiting naval building on 8 February 1922. The sale of her unfinished hull, 38.5% completed, for scrapping occurred on 25 October 1923 on the slipway to Steel Scrap Corp., Philadelphia, Pa. Her name was stricken from the Navy List on 10 November 1923, and on 15 November 1924 the company reported completing her dismantlement.
Mark L. Evans
Updated, Robert J. Cressman
13 January 2022