(Submarine No. 82: displacement 569 (surfaced), 680 (submerged); length 186-2-; beam 18-; draft 14-6-; speed 13.5 knots (surfaced), 10.5 knots (submerged); complement 34; armament 1 3-, 4 21- torpedo tubes; class R-1)
R-5 (Submarine No. 82) was laid down 16 October 1917 by the Fore River Shipbuilding Co., Quincy, Mass.; launched 24 November 1918; sponsored by Miss Margaretta King; and commissioned 15 April 1919, Lt. Comdr. Eric L. Barr in command.
After completion at the Boston Navy Yard, R-5 got underway 28 April 1919 for New London, Conn., where she was assigned to Submarine Division 9 of the Atlantic Fleet. She headed south 4 December for Norfolk and winter exercises with her division in the Gulf of Mexico (21 January-14 April 1920). R-5 later returned to Newport, R.I., 18 May for 4 months of summer training in New England waters. Then as SS-82 (effective 17 July) she sailed 13 September for Norfolk and an overhaul that was completed in April 1921.
In company with Camden (AS-6), R-5 was ordered to the Pacific 11 April 1921, transited the Panama Canal 28 May, and arrived 30 June at her new base, San Pedro, Calif. In January 1923 she was used in the filming of the Twentieth Century-Fox motion picture, "The Eleventh Hour," and engaged in war games with the battle fleet in the Gulf of Fonseca (5 February- 6 April 1923).
She was transferred 16 July along with Division 9 to Pearl Harbor where she was based for the next 8 years engaged in training and operations with fleet units. R-5 made an endurance run to Midway in July and August 1924 and, in December, during division exercises off Pearl Harbor, rammed R-16 (SS-93) in the after battery room, causing extensive damage to both ships.
R-5 was transferred back to the Atlantic 12 December 1930 with Divisions 9 and 14, transited the Panama Canal 28 January 1931 and arrived at New London 9 February She was assigned to Division 4 on 1 April and acted as training ship for the Submarine School until sailing 28 April 1932 for Philadelphia, where she decommissioned 30 June 1932.
After recommissioning 19 August 1940, R-5 reported to Division 42 at New London 30 October. She sailed 10 December for the submarine base at Coco Solo, C.Z., where she was assigned patrol duty in the Bay of Panama until returning to New London 31 October 1941. She underwent overhaul and in December relieved S-1 (SS-105) on patrol along the Bermuda-New England shipping lanes. Through the U-boat offensives of 1942 she maintained those patrols, operating out of New London and Bermuda, and alternating them with antisubmarine training operations for destroyers and destroyer escorts. Twice during the first part of the year she made contact with U-boats and once, 10 February, fired torpedoes, but none found its mark.
From 1943 into 1945, R-5 continued to rotate between New London and Bermuda. After the end of World War II, she was ordered to Portsmouth, N.H., for inactivation, Arriving on 6 September, she decommissioned on the 14th and was struck from the Navy list 11 October 1945. On 22 August 1946, R-5 was sold for scrap to John J. Duane, Quincy, Mass.