(SP-1687: dp. 5,150; l. 375'; b. 42'; dr. 18'6"; s. 17 k.; cpl. 345; a. 1 5", 2 3-, 2 mg)
An alternate spelling of Quinebaug, a river in southern Massachusetts and eastern Connecticut.
Quinnebaug (S. P. 1687), formerly Jefferson, was built in 1899 by Delaware River Iron and Shipbuilding and Engineering Works, Chester, Pa., for the Old Dominion Steamship Co; chartered by the Navy 3 December 1917; converted to a mine planter by Robbin's Repair Basin and Drydock Co., Brooklyn, N.Y.; and commissioned at Brooklyn 28 March 1918, Comdr. David Pratt Mannix in command.
Quinnebaug reported to the Atlantic Mine Force and was ordered 13 May 1918 to Invergordon, Scotland for mining operations in the North Sea with Mine Squadron 1. From 14 July to 26 October, she successfully completed ten mining missions screened by British destroyers of the 14th Flotilla (Grand Fleet). Quinnebaug was not diverted from her mission by two encounters with German submarines 20-21 September, and succeeded in planting approximately 6,040 mines in the Northern Barrage. Upon completion of this duty she returned home, decommissioned at Philadelphia 6 February 1919, and was returned to her owner 19 March 1919.
(SP-2478: dp. 2,500 d.w.; l. 253'2"; b. 37'2"; dr. 18'2"; s. 10 k.)
Quinnebaug (S. P. 2478), formerly Pong Tong, was built in 1903 as Elisabeth Rickmers by Rickmers Aktiengesellschaft, Bremerhaven, Germany, and acquired by the Navy under charter from the Customs Bureau, Government of the Philippines, through USSB. She was assigned to the 12th Naval District, but saw no active service.
Lafitte (MC hull 2631), formerly Quinnebaug (AOG-71), was built by the St. Johns River Shipbuilding Corp., Jacksonville, Fla., for the Maritime Commission; acquisition by the Navy was cancelled 27 August 1945.