(Collier: dp. 6,500; l. 367'; b. 51'; dr. 21'4"; s. 11 k.; cpl. 100; a. 4 3")
A city in Massachusetts.
Quincy, formerly Vogesen, was built in 1909 by William Doxford and Sons, Sunderland, England for H. Vogemann; acquired by NOTS 8 May 1917; and commissioned at New Orleans 2 February 1918, Lt. Comdr. John C. K. Redington, USNRF, in command.
Upon the declaration of war with Germany, Vogesen was seized by Customs and Navy officials at Pensacola, Fla., and was renamed Quincy 4 June 1917. After a refit at New Orleans she was quickly placed in service by NOTS as a collier.
During World War I Quincy made three round trip transAtlantic voyages. She sailed from Norfolk 27 February 1918 with a cargo of lumber destined for Paulliac, France, and returned to Norfolk 1 June. While at Norfolk she was fitted out to carry fuel oil. Quincy departed 21 July for Brest, France with a cargo of lumber, cement, and airplanes, and returned to Philadelphia 26 September for a short refit. On her third eastward crossing she left Galveston, Tex. 1 November, bound for Genoa, Italy with a cargo of aviation material. On the return voyage, Quincy called at Gibraltar to take on a Navy cargo, and arrived at Philadelphia 25 March 1919. Quincy subsequently carried cargo between east coast ports and visited Guantanamo Bay and St. Thomas, Virgin Islands.
After the war Quincy continued to operate along the East Coast. She was designated AK-10 on 17 July 1920. From August 1920 until May 1921 she was laid tip at Norfolk. Quincy got underway 13 May for Gibraltar and Brest. Upon her return to the U.S. she remained on the east coast a short time and then sailed to the California coast via the Panama Canal making various calls enroute to take on and discharge cargo. Quincy arrived at Mare Island Navy Yard, Calif. 3 November 1921 and visited Hawaii in January-February 1922. She returned to Philadelphia 11 April.
Quincy decommissioned at Philadelphia 5 June 1922 and was sold 25 September 1922 to the Navigation Steamship Co.