Silicon dioxide (Si02) a hard, vitreous mineral occurring in many varieties and comprising 12% of the earth’s crust.
(IX–150: dp. 10,970; l. 360’; b. 54’; dr. 26’; cpl. 52; T. B7–D1)
Quartz (IX–150), a concrete barge, was built as MC hull 1330 by Barrett and Hilp, Belair Shipyards, San Francisco, Calif.; launched 4 December 1943; and accepted by the Navy and placed in service 13 April 1944, Lt. Comdr. Paul N. Runyon in command.
Designed to provide facilities for the issuance of stores at advanced bases, Quartz was assigned to the Service Force, Pacific Fleet. She was towed to Pearl Harbor from San Francisco, arriving 10 May 1944. Operating with Service Squadrons 8 and 10, she was typical of the Green Dragons, or “Crockery “ ships, which acted as warehouses afloat and packed every conceivable supply item within their holds. She provided services at Majuro, Eniwetok, Ulithi, Leyte, and Guam.
Quartz specialized in the handling of clothing, together with general stores. High speed provision ships made runs to the far reaches of the Pacific, transferred their cargoes to the “crockery” ships, and then returned to the United States for another load without awaiting piecemeal discharge of their cargoes.
With the end of hostilities Quartz was assigned to the 13th Naval District for disposal. Arriving Eniwetok 28 March 1946, she took part in the nuclear weapons test in July, after which she was taken to Kwajalein. Declared free of contamination, she was towed to Pearl Harbor, arriving 15 September. Placed out of service 31 December 1946 at Bremerton, Wash., she was struck from the Navy List 22 January 1947 and sold to Foss Launch and Tug Co. 23 October 1947.