(AK-247: dp. 8,370 (f.); l. 338-9-; b. 50-; dr. 21-; s. 11.5 k.; cpl. 85; a. 1 3-; cl. Alamosa; T. C1-M-AV1)
An Army name retained.
Private John F. Thorson, a cargo ship, was laid down as Becket Bend (MC hull 2486) by the Southeastern Shipbuilding Corp., Savannah, Ga. 8 January 1945; launched 26 February 1945; sponsored by Mrs. L. S. deSevilla; and delivered via the Maritime Commission to Moore-McCormack Lines, Inc. 6 July 1945.
As Becket Bend, the cargo ship was operated by MooreMcCormack under General Agency Agreement. Title for the ship was transferred from the War Shipping Administration to the Army 23 July 1954 and the actual transfer to custody took place two days later at New Orleans, La.
Renamed Private John F. Thorson 31 October 1947, she operated as an Army Transportation Service ship until transferred to the Navy 1 March 1950. Placed in service as T-AK-247, she was assigned to MSTS and operated from Gulf ports until 1954. Transferred to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet, Charleston Group, she decommissioned 2 August 1954 and was struck from the Navy List 1 October 1958.
Private John F. Thorson remained at Charleston, S.C. until transferred to the Maritime Administration 29 August 1960. The same day she was sold to Hugo New Steel Products, N.Y. for scrap.