A sound, or inlet, on the Gulf of Alaska.
The name Prince William (AVG–19) was assigned to MC hull 198, a converted C3 laid down by the Western Pipe and Steel Co., San Francisco, Calif., 15 December 1941. Designated for transfer to the United Kingdom under the Lend-Lease Agreement, she was renamed and launched as Striker, 7 May 1942; redesignated ACV–19, 20 August 1942; delivered to the US Navy 28 April 1943; and transferred to the Royal Navy 18 May 1943. Redesignated CVE–19, on the US Navy List, 15 July 1943, she served with the Royal Navy throughout the remainder of World War II. She was returned to the US Navy, at Norfolk, 12 February 1946; struck from the Navy List, 28 March 1946; and sold to the Patapsco Steel Scrap Co., Bethlehem, Pa., 5 June 1946, and scrapped.
(ACV–31: dp. 9,800; l. 495’8”; b. 69’6”; ew. 111’6”; dr. 26’; s. 18 k.; cpl. 890; a. 2 5”, 20 40mm.; ac. 21; cl. Bogue; T. C3–S–A1)
Prince William (ACV–31), ex-MC hull 242, was laid down by the Seattle-Tacoma Shipbuilding Corp., Tacoma, Wash., 18 May 1942 as AVG–31; redesignated ACV–31 on 20 August 1942; launched 23 August 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Paul Foley; and commissioned 9 April 1943, Capt. Herbert E. Regan in command.
Following an abbreviated shakedown off the west coast, Prince William reported for duty with the Pacific Fleet’s air arm to ferry planes and transport personnel to forward areas. Redesignated CVE–31 on 15 July 1943, she operated between the west coast and such places as New Caledonia, Canton Island, Samoa, and Espiritu Santo until the spring of 1944. Then, a brief assignment at San Diego, training and qualifying pilots, preceded her return to ferrying duties in mid-April. She completed a run to Townsville, Australia, 7 May, and, on her return to San Diego, was reassigned to the Atlantic Fleet.
Unloading aircraft and cargo at Port Everglades, Fla., 21 June, she continued on to Norfolk where new navigational equipment (LORAN) was installed. During July and into August she qualified pilots in the Chesapeake bay area, then, on the 24th, resumed plane and personnel ferry services with a run to Casablanca. Returning with worn airplane engines and parts, she moored at Norfolk 26 September for availability.
Prince William returned to training duties in mid-October. Until 26 January 1945, she qualified pilots in the Narragansett Bay area, then shifted to Key West. There she continued to carry out her mission as a training carrier until returning to Norfolk in May.
On 2 June, the CVE got underway for the Panama Canal and on the 8th rejoined the Pacific Fleet. Again assigned to ferrying duties she transported planes and personnel between the west coast and Hawaii for the remainder of World War II. After the cessation of hostilities, Prince William was assigned to “Magic Carpet” duty and for the next seven months returned military personnel and equipment to the United States. Completing her last run at San Diego, 21 March 1946, she was ordered to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet and on 8 April got underway for the Panama Canal. Arriving at Norfolk on the 23rd, she continued on, two days later, to Philadelphia where she decommissioned 29 August 1946. Reclassified CVHE–31, 12 June 1955,Prince William remained a unit of the Philadelphia Group, Atlantic Reserve Fleet until struck from the Navy List I March 1959.