(AVS-7: dp. 2,382; l. 338-9-; b. 50-; dr. 21-; s. 11.5 k.; cpl. 85; a. 1 3-; cl. Supply; T. C1-M-AV1)
Named for counties in Mississippi and Oklahoma.
Pontotoc (AVS-7), an aviation supply ship, was laid down as M. C. Hull 2160 by Leatham D. Smith Shipbuilding Co., Sturgeon Bay, Wise. 15 January 1944; classified AK-206 on 25 February 1944; launched 2 July 1944; acquired from the Maritime Commission on a loan-charter basis 28 February 1945; reclassified AG-94 on 12 March 1945; and commissioned 22 March 1945, Lt. Comdr. C. W. Lockard in command.
After shakedown, Pontotoc transited the Panama Canal and arrived Pearl Harbor 18 April 1945. Reclassified as AVS-7 effective 25 May, Pontotoc steamed for the Philippine Islands, reporting for duty 8 July at Guiuan, Samar, Philippine Islands. She provided aviation stores on station in the Philippines through the end of hostilities.
Pontotoc then proceeded to the 12th Naval District. She decommissioned and was delivered to WSA 26 April at San Francisco. Struck from the Navy List 8 May 1946, she was returned to her owner 26 April 1946.