Skip to main content
Related Content
  • Boats-Ships--Submarine
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials

(SS-180: dp. 1,330 (surf.), 1,997 (subm.); l. 300-7-; b. 25-1-; dr. 13-10-; s. 19 k. (surf.), 9 k. (subm.); cpl. 50; a. 6 21- tt., 1 3-; cl. Porpoise)

A food-fish resembling the true Cod, but with the lower jaw projecting and without the barbel.


The first Pollack (SS-180) was laid down 1 October 1935 by the Portsmouth Navy Yard, Portsmouth, N.H.; launched 15 September 1936; sponsored by Miss Anne Carter Lauman; and commissioned 15 January 1937, Lt. Clarence E. Aldrich in command.

Pollack stood out of the Portsmouth Navy Yard 7 June 1937 for a Caribbean shakedown training cruise. She returned from this cruise to Portsmouth 4 September and was underway 29 November for the west coast of the United States. She reached her new base at San Diego, Calif., 19 December and spent the next 11 months in a rigorous schedule of maneuvers along the western seaboard with Submarine Division 13, Scouting Force. Pollack shifted to base at Pearl Harbor 28 October 1939. Except for periods of overhaul in the Mare Island Navy Yard, she remained in Hawaiian waters until the outbreak of World War II She was en route from Mare Island to Hawaii when the Japanese attacked 7 December, and she entered Pearl Harbor two days later.

Pollack, Gudgeon (SS-211) and Plunger (SS-179) departed Pearl Harbor 13 December and were off the coast of Honshu, Japan, a few hours before midnight 31 December, the first American submarines to reach Japanese waters in World War II. Pollack damaged 2,700-ton cargo ship Heijo Maru 5 January 1942 and two days later sent 2,250-ton cargo ship Unkai Maru No. 1 to the bottom, the first officially confirmed victim of the Pacific Fleet Submarine Force. On 9 January she sank 5,387-ton freighter Teian Maru by a night surface attack, and ended her first war patrol at Pearl Harbor 21 January.

Pollack got underway from Pearl Harbor 18 February to intercept enemy cargo ships carrying war material to Nagasaki by way of the Formosa Channel. On 11 March she torpedoed and sank 1,454-ton cargo ship Fukushu Maru. She damaged a second cargo ship with 3-inch gunfire before returning to Pearl Harbor 8 April.

Pollack departed Pearl Harbor 2 May and was in waters of the Japanese home islands 12 May when she battle-surfaced to riddle a 600-ton patrol vessel with 3-inch and .50 caliber hits. This target settled by the stern and burned furiously at every point above the waterline. Pollack returned from her third war patrol to Pearl Harbor 16 June.

Following four months of overhaul at Pearl Harbor, Pollack put to sea for her fourth war patrol 10 October. Before she reached her assigned area she was ordered back to Midway, arriving 23 October. She fueled to capacity and stood out of the Midway channel that same day to patrol the approaches to Truk in an attempt to intercept crippled enemy ships believed en route to that enemy stronghold from sea battles in the Solomon Islands. There were no contacts with enemy shipping during the entire patrol and Pollack returned to Pearl Harbor 29 November.

Pollack's fifth war patrol was again spent in waters off the Japanese home islands. After departing Pearl Harbor 31 December, she sighted only one target before terminating her fifth war patrol at Pearl Harbor, 10 February 1943.

Pollack spent her sixth war patrol between the Gilbert and Marshall Islands. She put to sea from Pearl Harbor 6 March and intercepted a freighter in the sealane between Jaluit and Makin Atolls on the afternoon of 20 March, damaging her with one of three torpedoes. Pollack ended her sixth war patrol at Midway 18 April.

Underway for her seventh war patrol, Pollack departed Midway 10 May to reconnoiter Ailuk Atoll and Wotje Island, then patrolled to the south and west towards Schischmarev Strait. On 18 May she torpedoed and sank 3,110-ton exgunboat Terushima Maru. Off Jaluit Atoll the next afternoon, she torpedoed and sank 5,350-ton converted light cruiser Bangkok Maru. She returned to Pearl Harbor 25 June.

Sailing 20 July, Pollack spent her eighth war patrol off the east coast of Kyushu, Japan. On 6 August she scored a torpedo hit on one ship in a convoy. Early on 27 August 1943, Pollack picked out one of five merchant ships off the coast of Kyushu and pressed home an attack which sank 3,520-ton passengercargo ship Taifuku Maru. On 3 September she sank 3,521-ton cargo ship Tagonoura Maru. She returned to Pearl Harbor 16 September.

Pollack got underway from Pearl Harbor 28 February 1944 and battled heavy seas as she entered the assigned area of her ninth war patrol off Nanpo Shoto 18 March. Two days later she made a night surface attack and watched two torpedo hits blow 1,327-ton freighter Hakuyo Maru to pieces. On 25 March she sank 300-ton Submarine Chaser No. 54, and damaged two freighters. On 3 April she sank passenger-cargo ship Tosei Maru. She returned to Midway 11 April.

Pollack's tenth war patrol was conducted off the Nanpo Shoto. She cleared Midway 6 May and was sixteen days out to sea when she moved in on about ten merchantmen with several escorts. She scored torpedo hits which sank 1,270-ton Japanese destroyer Asanagi but was held down by a fierce counter-attack while the remaining ships of the convoy made good their escape. She returned to Pearl Harbor 7 June.

Pollack departed Pearl Harbor for her eleventh war patrol 15 July. She touched at Majuro, Marshall Islands, and then steamed on lifeguard station in support of the air strikes made on Woleai Island 1 August. She was off Yap Island 4-5 August for similar duty, then patrolled in the Yap-Palau area, taking time out to shell the phosphate plant on Fais Island 27 and 30 August. She returned to Brisbane, Australia, 12 September.

Pollack underwent a refit period at Brisbane, then got underway 6 October for exercises with HMAS Geelong until the 10th. She then steamed by way of Mios Woendi, Schouten Islands, to Pearl Harbor where she arrived 18 November for training operations off Oahu with units of the Pacific Fleet destroyer force. She was underway from that port 25 January 1945, en route with Permit (SS-178) to the east coast of the United States, reaching New London, Conn., 24 February. The remainder of her career was spent as a training ship for men of the Submarine School at that base. She entered the Portsmouth Navy Yard 14 June for inactivation and was decommissioned there 21 September 1945. Her name was struck from the Naval Vessel Register 29 October 1946 and she was sold for scrapping 2 February 1947 to Ship-Shape, Inc. of Philadelphia.

Pollack received ten battle stars for World War II service.

Published: Mon Aug 24 08:36:41 EDT 2015