Point Cruz (CVE-119)
(CVE-119: dp. 24,560 (f); l. 557-1-; b. 75-; ew. 105-2-; dr. 33-; s. 19 k.; cpl. 1,060; a. 2 5-, 36 40mm; cl. Commencement Bay)
A decisive land battle fought 7 to 10 November 1942 on Guadalcanal, British Solomon Islands.
Point Cruz, an escort carrier named Trocadero Bay until 5 June 1944, was laid down 4 December 1944 by Todd Pacific Shipyard Incorporated, Tacoma, Wash.; launched 18 May 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Earl R. DeLong; and commissioned 16 October 1945, Captain D. T. Day in command.
Following acceptance and shakedown, she conducted pilot qualifications off the West Coast from October 1945 to March 1946. Thereafter she ferried aircraft to forward bases in WestPac. She entered Puget Sound Naval Shipyard 3 March 1947 for inactivation; decommissioned 30 June 1947 and entered the Pacific Reserve Fleet, Bremerton, Wash.
After the start of hostilities in Korea the ship was activated and recommissioned 26 July 1951, Captain Horace Butterfield in command. Point Cruz departed CONUS 4 January 1953 after coastal operations and an extensive overhaul modifying her for use as an ASW Hunter-Killer Group carrier.
Based at Sasebo, Japan, Point Cruz patroled the Korean coast in the spring of 1953. After the armistice, her heliocopter squadron took part in Operation "Platform," airlifting Indian troops to the Panmunjom buffer zone to supervise the POW exchange.
The CVE returned to San Diego in late December 1953, and after training and additional overhaul deployed to WestPac again 24 August 1955. While in the Pacific operating with the 7th Fleet, she served as flagship of Carrier Division 15. Point Cruz departed Yokosuka 31 January 1956 and arrived Long Beach in early February for inactivation at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard. Decommissioned 31 August 1956, CVE-119 was placed in the Bremerton Group of the Pacific Reserve Fleet. While in a reserve status, she was redesignated AKV-19, 17 May 1957.
Point Cruz was reactivated 23 August 1965 and placed under the operational control of MSTS as T-AKV-19 in September 1965. Since commencing service as an aircraft ferry for MSTS, Point Cruz has provided vital logistical support for American forces in South East Asia.