(ScTug: t. 184; l. 110-4-; b. 24-6-; dph. 7-; cpl. 24, a, 1 30-pdr. P.r.,2 heavy 12-pdr. sb.)
A genus of annual or perennial herbs often cultivated for their showy flowers.
Pink, a wooden screw tug built in 1863 as Zouave at Newburgh, N.Y., was purchased by the Navy 14 December 1863 from New York and Glen Cove Steam Navigation Co.; and commissioned 6 February 1864, Acting Master John B. Dicks in command.
The new tug sailed for the gulf early in April 1864 but was detained in the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron during the spring and early summer for repairs at Norfolk and service as a small transport on the James. She resumed her voyage south with sister tugs Tritonia, Athenia, and Rose 26 July and joined the West Gulf Blockading Squadron in Mississippi Sound on 5 August, the day of Admiral Farragut's great victory in Mobile Bay. She supported Union operations, primarily in Mobile Bay, until after the end of the Civil War. While steaming from New Orleans toward Mobile, Pink ran aground on Dauphin Island before dawn 22 September 1865 and bilged beyond salvage.